Hansel and Gretel Readers Choice Award
The Hansel and Gretel Readers’ Choice Award is an initiative begun in 2014 by librarians in several international schools in Germany. Sixteen nominee books are selected in the spring of each year. Grades 3 through 6 students in participating schools vote in an elimination tournament with four rounds of voting to select the years' Hansel and Gretel Readers’ Choice Award.
The name of the award was selected to identify with our host country, Germany and to honor the contribution of the Brothers Grimm to children's literature. A variety of books are selected each year: modern classics, some that have been around a few years, as well as newly published titles.
Students in grades 3 through 6 may participate by reading at least four of the nominated titles. Students may only vote for a book that they have read. Students may read the book in any language or have the book read to them.
- Build excitement around reading
- Generate readership for new, well reviewed titles (authors)
- Empower students with a visible sign that their opinions matter
- Broaden students’ reading selections
- Create a sense of community within German international schools