For now, this page is used to share links from presentations for parents. There's a lot of great information below, so please inform yourself about these issues so we can all work together to keep our kids safe.
- Lexington Police Investigation Uncovers Sexting Among Elementary Schoolers -- happened March 2014 here in Lexington, KY.
- Parental Talks About Sexting Should Start Young: Experts -- yes, even elementary students are demonstrating these behaviors.
- Talking About Sexting -- a great video and tips from Common Sense Media.
- Talking to Kids and Teens About Social Media and Sexting -- from the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Sexting: A Brief Guide for Educators and Parents -- from the Cyberbullying Research Center.
- Sexting in America: When Privates Go Public, Part 1 -- a series from MTV, Part 2-4 are also accessible on the same page.
- Why Kids Sext? -- an eye-opening 2014 article from The Atlantic that shows teenagers often see sexting as no big deal.
Apps and Sexting
- Officials Say Teenage Sexting a Growing Problem -- story and video from WYMT here in Kentucky.
- What's So Special (and So Dangerous) About Snapchat? -- article from Digital Trends.
- What Parents Need to Know About Kik, the Messaging App Popular With Tweens and Teens -- from Chicago Now.
- A Parent's Guide to Cyberbullying -- lots of good information from ConnectSafely.org. Be sure to check out the pdf document.
- Netsmartz Workshop: Parents & Guardians -- presents common Internet usage and safety issues; offers advice and tips for handling these topics with children.
- Kentucky Office of the Attorney General -- describes forms of cyberbullying, including cyberbullying by proxy.
- National Crime Prevention Council: Cyberbullying --
- Parents, Beware of Bullying on Sites You've Never Seen -- more social networking sites and apps.
- Stand Up to Cyberbullying -- a great resource from Common Sense Media that discusses where children are developmentally by different ages and advice/tips for handling Internet Usage. Also provides articles and videos here.
- Stop Cyberbullying: What's the Parent's Role in This? -- from Parry Aftab's site, Wired Safety. Discusses how parents should handle situation if they find out their child is being bullied.
- 11 Sites and Apps Kids Are Heading to After Facebook -- Kik, Vine and Ask.fm are some of the newest tools used by students here in Lexington.
- Facebook Eases privacy Rules for Teenagers -- allows status updates, videos and images to be seen by anyone.
- Facebook for Parents -- includes tips for talking to teens about Facebook.
- Reasons Young Children Should Not Use Facebook -- from KidSafe Foundation.
- A Parent's Guide to Instagram -- also from ConnectSafely.org.
- A Parents' Guide to Snapchat -- from ConnectSafely.org
- Parents Just Don't Understand: Apps and Teenagers -- a video and story out of Crestwood, KY.
- Social Networking Challenges Every Parent Should Know