- United States Declaration of Independence was ratified on July 4,1776.
- The United States Constitution was signed on September 17, 1787 by the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Nine states ratified the Constitution on March 4, 1789.
- On June 8, 1789, Representative James Madison introduced nine amendments to the constitution in the House of Representatives.
- Articles Three through Twelve were ratified as additions to the Constitution on December 15, 1791. These articles became Amendments One through Ten of the Constitution.