Let's Engage Parents!
- 100 ways to get involved!
- Torrance Council of PTA's: Join your local PTA
- Ed.gov Helping your child succeed workbook
- Khan Academy Khan Academy is a non-profit educational organization created in 2006 by educator Salman Khan with a goal of creating an accessible place for people to be educated. The organization produces short lectures in the form of YouTube videos
- It's Never Too Early to Help Your Child Learn —Talk, Read, and Sing Together Every Day! English | Spanish
- Tips for Families English | Spanish
- Tips for Using Language at Home and in the Community English | Spanish
- Helping your child with nightly reading homework. Please follow the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=korfvEOQb14
- Be a Learning Hero to your Child: Interactive website From homework help to understanding grade level learning goals, from how to help support your child’s emotional health and happiness, to planning for college and more.
- Common Core Standards by Grade Level:
- Parent Roadmaps to Common Core Math:
- Illustrative Mathematics:
Every Student, Every Day: A National Initiative to Address and Eliminate Chronic Absenteeism
A student who misses just two days of school each month — 18 days total in the year — is considered to be chronically absent. In the United States, more than 6 million children are chronically absent from school each year. Students who are chronically absent are more likely to fall behind in reading and less likely to graduate. Even when excused, absences add up and can greatly impact a child’s education. To combat chronic absenteeism, the U.S. Department of Education, the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, and the Ad Council have partnered to provide information and resources to schools, organizations, and families. Check the website, AbsencesAddUp.org, for information and resources to help ensure children attend school each day.
Operation Prevention Virtual Field Trip: The Science Behind Opioid Addiction
The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and Discovery Education have joined forces to combat a growing epidemic of prescription opioid misuse and heroin use nationwide. Operation Prevention's mission is to educate students about the impacts of opioid use and kick-start lifesaving conversations in the home and classroom. To learn more, and perhaps save a life, go to: http://operationprevention.com.
- Apply to University of California System
- Apply to Cal State University System
- Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities
- The Common Application
- NCAA Clearinghouse
- Colleges that Change Lives
- College and Career Planning
- College Search, Financial Aid, College Apps
- College Finder and Recruiting Service
- Video Tours of Major Colleges
- College Admissions Help
- Virtual Campus Tours
- Articles About Choosing a College
- Schools with Optional SAT/ACT Test Requirements
- College Fair Information
- California Colleges
- Khan Academy Free Practice for SAT
- Parent workshops, College Fairs, Parent Nights
- Benefits of PSAT/NMSQT (Students)
- Delivering Opportunity to Your Teenage
- Counselor Resource Guide
Scholarships and Financial Aid
- www.studentaid.ed.gov – Information on Student Loans
- www.fafsa.ed.gov – Electronic Application
- www.fastweb.com – Search for Scholarships
- www.meritaid.com –Find Merit Scholarships at any School
- www.zinch.com – Connect with 5,000 Colleges
- www.studentsscholarships.org – Search for Scholarships
- www.wiche.edu/wue -Western Undergraduate Exchange Program
NCAA Eligibility Information
- 2.3 or Take a Knee
- NCAA website targeted at student/parents. It is worth a look and possibly linking to your athletics page.
- NCAA Eligibility Center
- This is where students/parents need to register if they are potential NCAA athletes.
- 2014-15 Guide for the College Bound Student Athlete
- NCAA publication designed to help potential NCAA student-athletes acquire college athletic eligibility.
The pages and documents posted on this site include links to information created by other public and private organizations. These links are provided for the user's convenience. TUSD does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of this information. The inclusion of these links is not intended to reflect their importance, nor is it intended to endorse views expressed, or products or services offered, on these non TUSD sites.