JLHS Counseling Corner
The James Lick counseling department works to support each James Lick student achieve his/her college & career goals. This includes setting goals based on strengths and interests, making a four year plan, checking on grades, making classroom presentations, using on-campus pre-college resources, such as, The College Hub & iMentor, and using Naviance as our vehicle for communication & information.
Check out these events coming up:
Monday, November 20th:
- EOP- UC Santa Cruz Workshop, After School, 707
Monday, November 27th:
- DREAMERS/AB540 Workshop, After School. 707
Friday, December 8th:
- Sonoma State University, ALL Day
- PLEASE VISIT THE COLLEGE HUB FOR FIELD TRIP FORMS!
interesting Opportunities for students
Sprint Phone Distribution
The phone company Sprint is having a cell phone distribution drive. They are providing cell phones to selected students at James Lick. You must return the signed form you have received to Ms. Leonardo in order to participate.
Saturday Academy from 8 am to Noon
Get help with homework, tutoring & computer use on campus on 10/7, 10/21, 11/18, 12/2, 12/16
The College Hub (Room 707) is now open
Open everyday from 8:30 to 4:30pm to help you fill out your financial aid applications, explore colleges and careers and search for scholarships. They will assist you signing up for the SAT or ACT Tests.
This year all juniors and seniors will take part in the iMentor program at James Lick. Students are paired with a professional in the community and will participate in weekly lessons during US history & government classes.
The East Side Union High School District and San Jose State University have created a pathway with guaranteed admission to seniors who meet their specific criteria. Will you be ready to meet these requirements? Check out: Spartan East Side Promise
College of the Month
University of california santa barbara
Located: Santa Barbara
History: Originally founded in 1891 as the Anna Blake School for home economics and industrial arts.
Colors: Blue & Gold
- The campus is located on cliffs directly above the Pacific Ocean
- One of the only universities in the US with its own lagoon and beach; various walking and bicycle paths across campus
- Extensive biking system where bicyclists have right-of-way; 53% of students bicycle
Popular Majors: Social Sciences, Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Psychology and Visual and Performing Arts
Campus Organizations & Communities:
- Over 400 active student organizations.
- Active Minds - raising mental health awareness
- Human Rights Group
- KCSB 91.19 and The Daily News
- Steve Aoki, electro house musician
- Robby Krieger, The Doors guitarist
- Jack Johnson, singer-songwriter and former professional surfer
- Gwyneth Paltrow, actress
- Bachelor's, Master's and PhD's Degrees
- Link to University of California Santa Barbara: https://www.ucsb.edu/
your jlhs counselors
Top Left to Right: Ms. Chavez and Ms. Vasquez.
Bottom Left to Right: Ms.Llanos and Mr.Loya