Academic Policies

Admission Procedures

High school students moving into District 205 should contact York High School. In order to enroll, proof of custody, proof of residency in District 205 and a birth certificate are required. Students transferring from another Illinois public high school must present a completed ISBE Student in Good Standing Transfer Form from the previous high school. All students will need transcripts from previously attended high schools to verify classes taken and credits earned. A ninth grade transfer student will need transcripts from the last year in middle school.


Students must be enrolled in a minimum of five full credit academic classes, lunch and either Health, Physical Education or Driver’s Education. All students are required to be enrolled in a minimum of 300 minutes per day - six periods plus lunch. Lunch is required for all students with the exception of work program students who leave after fifth or sixth period. Work study students with more than six periods must be scheduled for a lunch period. Except for seniors with off-campus privileges, all students are expected to be at school for 8 periods.

Course Selection

Each year York High School creates a master schedule for the following school year that reflects students’ course requests made during course selection. Faculty members are employed, textbooks are purchased and rooms are assigned on the basis of these requests. Careful consideration of course selection by the student, parent and counselor prior to course selection is critical to this process. In January, parents will be sent an email to verify requested courses through PowerSchool, and any schedule changes can be made until February 1st. After that date, schedule changes will only be made after April 15th, based on course availability.

Level Changes

Level changes can only be made before the school year has started or at the change in semesters. Before any level change is considered, students must demonstrate that they have made an effort to succeed in the class by completing all homework and seeking additional help from the teacher or resource area staff member. If all efforts to improve have failed and the student still wishes to change, he/she must do the following:

      1. Obtain a Request for Level Change Form from the department chair.
      2. Have the teacher, department chair, and parents complete the Request for Level Change Form.
      3. Return the form to the counselor. Students must remain in class for the remainder of the semester.

In some cases, other changes in the student’s schedule will have to be made to accommodate the level change. If classes are full, or other scheduled conflicts occur, a level change may not be possible.

Adding a Course

Students may only add classes during the first week of each semester.

Dropping a Course

Students may withdraw from a course without penalty during the first six weeks of the semester. Students who drop a class after the first six weeks of the semester will receive a grade of WF and will have the failing grade included in their grade point average. The procedure for dropping a class is:

        1. Obtain a Request for Schedule Change form from the counselor
        2. Student and Parents complete the Request for Schedule Change form
        3. Return the form to the counselor

Early Graduation

Students must declare their intent to graduate early at the end of their seventh semester during the course selection process. Students must complete the Form for Early Graduation, and must secure approval from their counselor, parents and Assistant Principal for Curriculum and Instruction.

Academic Credits

All academic courses receive one credit per semester, including health and music. PE courses earn one-half credit per semester.

Grade Point Averages and Honor Roll

For the cumulative grade point average, all courses are assigned point values except PE, supportive study halls, and some activity classes.

For a single semester, GPA is figured by adding the point total (non-weighted) and then dividing by the number of classes. Then the fraction .20 for each honors class with a grade of A, B, or C is added to the GPA. For example, a student with two honors courses and four regular classes who earned a grade of B in every course would have a GPA of 3.40 (or 6 x 3 = 18 divided by 6 = 3.0 + (2x.20) for the two honors courses results in a GPA of 3.40).

When calculating GPA for multiple semesters, the honors weight of .20 is multiplied by the total number of honors credits and then divided by the number of semesters the student has been in school. The resulting fraction is then added to the cumulative GPA. This weighted GPA is used for honor roll and is shown on the transcript. Honor roll is determined at the end of each semester.

There are two honor rolls at York:

        • Honor Roll: GPA of 3.0 – 3.499
        • High Honor Roll – GPA of 3.5 and above

Grade Point Values:

        • A = 4 points, B = 3 points, C = 2 points, D = 1 point, and F = 0

Activity/Intervention/Service Course Credits

The following activity course receives one-half credit per semester:

      • Freshman Mentoring.

The following intervention courses receive one-half credit per semester:

      • Academic Essentials, Study Methods, SEL Support, and Study Seminar.

The following service courses receive one-half credit per semester and all need approval:

      • Principal’s Office Aides, Teacher Aides, College and Career Center Aides, Bookstore Aides, Athletic Office Aides and Student Service Aides.

The following activity course receives one-fourth credit per semester:

      • Student Council.

Pass/Fail Option

Required courses may not be taken for a Pass/Fail grade. Students may choose to take one elective course per semester on a Pass/Fail basis. This option is provided to encourage students to take a course for interest or need without the pressure of a letter grade. The Pass/Fail Form must be completed with a parent’s signature and returned to your counselor by the sixth week of the semester. All course requirements remain the same and a student is graded throughout the course. However, only a Pass or Fail grade is recorded on the transcript with full credit given for courses successfully completed. Successfully completed Pass/Fail courses will not be averaged in a student’s GPA. A failing grade in a Pass/Fail course will affect GPA and class rank like a failure in any course. Once a student elects to take a course on a Pass/Fail basis, the student must remain on Pass/Fail for the semester.

Independent Study

A program of independent study through the use of a learning contract is available as a one time opportunity. Students who wish to pursue special topics of interest or expand a specific area of an existing course may do so by entering into a learning contract with a member of the faculty. A student may earn up to one credit on any single contract. Contract forms are available with your counselor.

Students and teachers must work out the specifics of the credit to be earned, the method of evaluation, and the length and substance of the study. The project should provide students and teachers the opportunity to pursue a wide range of subjects and learning strategies.

Auditing a Course

Students interested in auditing a course at York for no credit should see a counselor for approval.

Advanced Placement (AP) Credit

A number of advanced courses at York help to prepare students to take the Advanced Placement Examinations given by the College Board each May. In these courses, college level materials are studied and students are provided the opportunity to demonstrate college-level achievement. Such courses are offered in Art, English, French, Spanish, Calculus, Statistics, Computer Science, Music, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, United States History, Government, European History, Economics and Psychology. If the student scores a three or better on the examination, the student may receive college credit for this high school course and enter college with credits on his/her college transcript. In addition the student may be exempt from comparable freshman courses and/or be accepted in advanced courses. Students should consult colleges to verify if Advanced Placement credit is accepted. Many colleges also offer proficiency tests on campus for college credit and/or placement in advanced college level courses. Students should plan their course work early in their high school years to be prepared for the advanced high school courses.

Dual Credit Classes

Dual credit courses are those courses within the high school curriculum that allow students to earn both York High School credit and College of DuPage credit for the same course. Please visit to the Dual Credit page for a listing of courses available.

Advanced College Project (ACP) Credit

York has entered into an agreement with Indiana University (IU) that provides dual credit courses taught at York. Students enrolled in the following courses, who earn at least a C, receive credit for IU in addition to York. This credit is transferable to most four year colleges and universities. Students should contact colleges to make sure they accept IU transfer credit. Please visit the Dual Credit page for a listing of dual credit courses, and for the ACP course descriptions , please visit the individual department pages.

Outside Credit

Elmhurst College and District 205 provide an opportunity for student to combine high school and college courses during the senior year. York students may choose to take from four to twelve semester hours of credit at Elmhurst College while they continue with a high school program of their choice at York. This program is contingent upon the student qualifying for admission to the college and providing for his/her own college tuition payment. Similar options may be arranged with the College of DuPage or other nearby institutions. In some cases, full tuition scholarships are available.

With administrative approval prior to taking the course, two college credits from recognized institutions of higher learning may be transferred back to York if those credits are needed to fulfill a graduation requirement. Some colleges and universities do not give college credit for courses where high school credit is given.

Correspondence or Online Course Credit

Student who wish to make up or take additional courses may transfer up to two credits of a York approved correspondence or online course toward a York diploma. Before enrolling in a course outside of York, the student must consult a York counselor and receive official administrative approval of the course and school. The full responsibility for enrolling, doing the course work and verifying completion rests with the student and student’s family (Board Policy 9655).

Technology Center of DuPage (TCD) Credit

Technology Center of DuPage (TCD), a career and technical education campus, prepares young people for a wide range of careers which require varying levels of education—from high school and post-secondary certificates to two and four-year colleges. Career programs, such as the ones available at TCD, help students develop skills and qualities through hands-on curricula.

Students should talk to their counselor if they are interested in attending TCD for the upcoming school year. York has a very limited number of openings for students to attend TCD, so admission into this program is extremely selective. Students may enroll at TCD junior year, senior year or both. The class is typically offered five days a week in an afternoon session at the campus in Addison. Transportation is provided by York High School.