El Dorado USD 490
2016 - 2020
The mission of USD 490 is to provide comprehensive educational programs and opportunities that:
- Prepare STUDENTS to be successfully engaged citizens, employees, and lifelong learners;
- PARENTS prefer for their children;
- Inspire pride among EMPLOYEES, and;
- PATRONS are willing to support.
Adopted November 14, 2016
- excel in the Three A's: Academics, Activities and Athletics
- receive services from highly-motivated, highly-skilled and highly-compensated staff who are recognized for excellence
- are prepared for careers and/or education after graduation and boast a 100% graduation rate
- provides bully and drug-free schools where high codes of conduct are equitably enforced
- evidences strong traditions of pride and excellence
- supports achievement in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math through solid foundations of academic essentials
- establishes USD 490 as the area "district of choice"
- engages with our students through experience-rich service learning and mentoring opportunities
- provides support and resources that removes barriers of poverty
- seeks first to employ USD 490 graduates
- enthusiastically believes and participates in being #partofthepride
During the 2016-17 school year, the USD 490 Board of Education committed to a strategic planning process in an effort to continue the long-range focus established in their 2012-2016 Strategic Plan. The Board opted to conduct the process internally rather than through contracted services.
At a work session in October of 2016, the Board of Education reviewed the district mission statement answering the question: Does it tell what we do, how we do it, and for whom? As a result, the mission statement was revised to reflect a greater emphasis on employability and broader stakeholder involvement.
The Board then addressed the question of vision and reflected upon how it would change over the next five-year strategic planning period. As a result, the vision was revised to reflect a greater emphasis on removal of barriers, increased school pride, and a culture of excellence.
Two questions were then processed for strategic-planning consideration: What have we done well over the past 5 years? and What could we have done better? Based upon individual and group processing, the Board developed three "walls" of prioritized information as a strategic framework for initiatives to begin, those to cease, and those to continue. The information was sorted into a set of themes and from these goals were established.
On November 14, 2016, the Board of Education reviewed the Strategic Plan draft and approved the adoption of the El Dorado USD 490 2016 - 2020 Strategic Plan. The plan was released to the public and distributed to staff following this action.
Following Board of Education approval, the plan was directed to the District Administrative Team for development of an Operational Guide, designed to serve as a working administrative document to direct day-to-day operations and planning. Each goal was analyzed for methods of measurement, action plans and areas of responsibility.
BOARD OF EDUCATION MEMBERS
Vicki Coash · Norm Wilks · Monty Hughey · Bernie Spradling · Scott Starkey · Tom Storrer · Ryan Carson
Superintendent of Schools
Executive Director of Fiscal and Support Services
Executive Director of Curriculum
Executive Director of Technology
Director of Transportation, Maintenance, and Operations
updated July 2017