EIS Information Literacy
Becoming a Better Researcher:
This website contains tools and guides o help you develop your research skills through the MYP and DP years of study. Remember that research is a process with clear steps to be taken. You will not develop the skills you need to become a good researcher overnight; accurate citation of sources takes practice, the selection of appropriate material (discernment) requires experience and wisdom that often only comes through trial and error, the critical evaluation of evidence is a challenging skill that will be built up over time and sometimes varies subject by subject. So do your best, use the support material provided, but don't expect to be perfect - until you write your 4,000 word Extended Essay in Grade 12 that is!
Aim HighWith Your Research:
What are we aiming for when completing research projects?
There are four main elements of good research that the assessment criteria in any MYP subject will address.
1. Formulate a clear and focused research question, and justify its relevance
2. Formulate and follow an action plan to investigate a research question
3. Use methods to collect and record appropriate, varied and relevant information
4. Evaluate the process and results of the investigation.
Research is a process:
Research Skills for MYP Students:
By the final year of the MYP we hope you will be able show you can:
- Collect and analyse data to identify solutions and make informed decisions to further the project.
- Create references and citations, use footnotes/ endnotes and construct a bibliography according to recognized conventions.
- Locate, organize, analyse, evaluate, synthesize and ethically use information from a variety of sources and media (including digital social media and online networks).
- Use critical-literacy skills to analyse and interpret information.
- Understand the impact of media representations and modes of presentation when analysing information.
- Demonstrate awareness of media interpretations of events and ideas (including digital social media).
- Understand and implement intellectual property rights.
IB MYP Further guidance for Projects. For use from May 2016
Good research in the Extended Essay is described as:
- The research question is clearly stated and focused.
- The research question is clear and addresses an issue of research that is appropriately connected to the discussion in the essay. Methodology of the research is complete.
- An appropriate range of relevant source(s) and/or method(s) have been applied in relation to the topic and research question.
- There is evidence of effective and informed selection of sources and/or methods
- The essay must provide the reader with the precise sources of quotations, ideas and points of view through accurate citations, which may be in-text or footnotes, and full references listed in the bibliography, which, regardless of the system used, must ensure the minimum requirements.