Unpacking the NEW Google Earth
"Google Maps is for finding your way. Google Earth is about getting lost."
Have you seen the NEW Google Earth? Bring your laptop or Chromebook and we'll explore how anyone can leverage Google Earth to enrich your content and show kids the world. We'll get hands-on and learn the easiest ways to get started with Google Earth while exploring all the new features. We'll also get a little geeky and explore some of the experimental features.
NAVIGATION Tips and Tricks:
SHIFT + Click - Pan and tilt
Paper Airplane - Reset to default
The Magic "N" - Reorient your Earth
Mini-Earth Navigation (bottom right)
Menus & Map Styles
Voyager: Explore The World
Demo: National Parks - Hawaii
Adding My Places
Editing My Places
Export KML/Import KML
Creating and Sharing Lists: KML and KMZ
- Go to Settings
- Enable KML file import (experimental)
- Volcano Sample: Click here
- Add to Drive or Download (look in the upper right).
- Go to My Places
- Import KML file
Getting Geeky: Experimental Features
Create a KML with Google My Maps Activity | Click here!
- Draw a polygon around a state or country (ONLY 1 per person)
- Add a marker to a state or country and add a title, photo or description.
- Refresh your map occasionally...
- Export Entire Map to .KML (see image to right)
Activity: Where in the World: Did you Know?
- Use I'm Feeling Lucky
- Find a location you are interested in. Learn something new.
- Take a screenshot.
- Open is Google Slide Presentation: Where in the World
- Pick a slide, add your picture, add a did you know fact
- Check out the example or get creative.