Orvis Risner Library
Open: 9:00 – 3:30
Checking Out Books
All school members are able to check books out of the library. Books may be checked out for two weeks and renewed for a longer time period if they are not on hold for another patron.
Parents can checkout books. For more information, please contact Mrs. Oard.
Library Policies & Procedures
The mission of Edmond Public Schools Library Media Program and the Orvis Risner Elementary Library Media Center is to enable students to become independent life-long learners in a rapidly changing technological and culturally diverse society through reading for pleasure as well as for information.
The goals of the Orvis Risner Library Media Center:
- Collaborating with administrators, teachers, parents, and students to support educational curriculum goals and provide successful learning experiences.
- Teaching information literacy through the application of reading and technology skills.
- Connecting students to the joy of reading and to information for life-long learning.
- Serving the entire school community in supporting educational curriculum goals and providing a variety of resources.
- Inspiring students to read for pleasure, ask questions, and seek knowledge.
Putting Books on Hold
Students can put up to 5 books on hold. This is in addition to what they already have checked out in order to facilitate more circulation of popular materials. When a student’s hold book comes in, the book will be delivered to their classroom.
Overdue notices will be printed out and distributed once a week to students at school. If the student is still reading the book, they are encouraged to bring it into the library and renew it. If no one is waiting for the book, the student can keep it for longer.
Lost & Damaged Books
If a book is lost or damaged, students will be expected to pay for the cost of a replacement. We recommend waiting at least a month to see if the book turns up (we’d rather have the book back than the money).
However, if the family has extenuating circumstances that make paying for the book difficult, the student may be permitted to work the book off in the library. If this is the case for your family, please contact Mrs. Oard.
In the meantime, students will continue to check out a reduced number of books in order to facilitate their reading.
As with purchased materials, donated items become the property of Orvis Risner Library to do with as it sees fit. Books may be added to the collection or given away as prizes to students as determined by the Library Media Specialist.