Positive Behaviour for Learning
The Purpose of Values
When we all come from different homes and upbringings it is values that help us come together in positive, purposeful and meaningful relationships of aroha.
To help us build strong relationships we focus upon four values.
- Term One: Respect - Manaakitanga
- Term Two: Responsibility - Haepapa
- Term Three: Excellence - Tohungatanga
- Term Four: Integrity - Ponotanga
We have worked together as a school to define what our values mean.
Acknowledging Our Values
- Cafe Card: All the children have personalised little cafe cards. When staff around the school see children displaying our values they give them a stamp. The stamp is our customised Burt Munro motorbike.
- Cafe Shop: Every fortnight children can redeem their stamps for rewards from the Cafe Shop.
- Top Boy and Girl: The number of stamps each child received is tracked and at the end of the term each class will have a top boy and top girl. They receive a certificate and prize. At the end of the year the overall top boy and girls for the whole school is tallied up.
- Most Valuable Pupil (MVP): At the end of each week at our Celebration Time (assembly) children that have been noticed by the classroom teacher as strongly showing the value of the term are eligible for our MVP. Parents will receive notification from the school office if their child is MVP for that week. They get a special Burt Munro badge. The aim is to collect all four badges over their time at our school.
- Postcards: We have designed our own postcards and teachers will send these home as they notice children showing our values in class.
Whanau groups are vertical mixed groups (mixed age groups) from across the school. We have five whanau groups.
- Kowhai - Yellow
- Kakariki - Green
- Whero - Red
- Kikorangi - Blue
- Tawa - Purple
All children from the same family become members of the same school whanau.
Around once a term we have whanau activities where we invite parents in to be part of our school.
During interval and lunchtime children are acknowledged for showing our values and they receive a token to go into their whanau container. The whanau with the highest number of tokens wins a prize.