Ms. Shapton's 8C Site
Welcome to the 8C site!
This site is for students, parents and guardians to access in order to keep informed about what is going on in 8C on a day-to-day basis. On this page, you have access to calendars to see the due dates in each of the homeroom subjects, as well as events that are going on at school. Please don't be alarmed if the calendar is empty - this just means that there are no due dates as of yet. The calendars you can see are as follows:
8C 2019/2020 - This is where school events, sports and due dates for music and french will be posted, as well as special dates to remember (Open House/Interviews/PA Days/Portfolios to be Returned/Report Cards Days etc).
Subject Specific Calendars - Each of these calendars will have task and assignment dates specific to the subject. If the calendar is empty - don't fret! This just means that there is not anything currently due in that specific subject.
Should you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to get in touch. I am looking forward to the wonderful year ahead!
If Your Child is Going to be Absent
Attendance: Please have a Parent/Guardian call Joan Morgan in the office each time your student(s) will be absent. If you send a note, have your student deliver it to the office first thing in the morning.
Missed Work: It is the responsibility of the student to catch up on missed work when they are away. Students can access this site, as well as their Google Classrooms, in order to see the work that was completed that day. As always, I am available to help and assist, so please advocate for yourself and what you need!
Google Classroom Tips
- Google Classroom can be accessed on ANY device by going to https://classroom.google.com
- From here, students sign in using their school account (GAFE) email and password
- Using the grid in the top right corner of the browser, students can then access their Gmail, Docs, Slides and Drive
- You must have a student account in order to join the class and see the assignments
Parents can receive daily/weekly summaries by doing the following:
- Google Classroom has a function where a Summary can be sent via email to let parents/guardians know what has been posted in terms of announcements, assignments and your child’s progress, as another way to keep informed. Parents/Guardians can choose the frequency of the emails (daily or weekly; weekly is recommended), as well as can unsubscribe or remove yourself from Classroom Summaries at any time. The Google Site listed at the top does provide information, however Google Classroom Summaries are specific to your child and their progress.
Guardian Summaries include:
- Missing work—Work that’s late at the time the email was sent to you
- Upcoming work—Work that’s due today and tomorrow (for daily emails) or work that’s due in the upcoming week (for weekly emails)
- Class activity—Announcements, assignments, and questions recently posted by teachers
Please provide me with your email in order to send you the invite for google summaries. If you have done this but are having trouble setting it up, please don't hesitate to get in touch! firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to Stay Connected?!
The school runs a variety of social media sites including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter as well as the school webpage and school messenger to promote or inform parents of upcoming events. See a partial list below:
- School Webpage: www.shdhs.ca
- Twitter: @shdhspanthers and @MsShapton
- School Facebook: www.facebook.com/shdhspanthers/
- Guidance Facebook: www.facebook.com/shdhsguidance/
- School Messenger: Go to www.schoolmessenger.com and sign up to get the app.
- Instagram: @shdhs_panthers
- School Cash Online: Parents are encouraged to make all payments (student fees, fundraising, trips) using School Cash Online. Please sign up at https://avonmaitland.schoolcashonline.com/Registration/ProfileTabs
- Busing: Students who are eligible for busing can confirm bus pick-up / drop-off times and location at https://ourschoolbuses.ca/. You will need each students’ Ontario Education Number (OEN) and your address. It is also a great place to watch for weather cancellations. Late buses will again be offered this year. Please see more information under the Expectations Tab at the top of this page.
- The Loop: Keep in the loop by attending our Parent Council. They meet once a month and new parents are always encouraged to join. Dates will be shared on Facebook and School Messenger.
Towards the end of each month, students will be bringing home a manila envelope with work that has been assessed over the month, assignments, rubrics and tests. This envelope is to be signed to show that you saw the contents of the Portfolio. NOTE: Daily Writer’s Notebook will not be sent home until June.
IN ADDITION TO SIGNING THE FRONT OF THE ENVELOPE, please initial the tops of tests and send them back in the envelope as these assessments are used to inform next steps, needed interventions or are a record of growth over the year. All of the assessments brought back to school inside the Monthly Portfolios will be sent home in June.