The Admissions Process
The Eagle Academy for Young Men is a New York City Department of Education public school and follows all admissions procedures of the NYCDOE. In general, prospective students and parents must attend an open house in addition to submitting an official NYCDOE application to his current guidance counselor.
The mission of The Eagle Academy for Young Men is to develop young men committed to the pursuit of academic excellence, strong character, and responsible leadership. We are a college-preparatory school focused and committed to the school’s guiding principles of: Academic Excellence, Mentoring, Leadership, Integrity, Character Development, and Community Service. We are part of a network of six all-male schools across the New York City area which work in collaboration to support the needs of our community and our young men. Our scholars are provided rigorous academic opportunities including advanced placement courses, CUNY College Now courses, and senior year off-site daytime internships. We have a long-established history of strong family engagement with a highly active parent association. We partner with parents to educate the whole child, and provide regular community-based parent workshops open to all families. We prepare our students to join the ranks of future leaders in society. Our scholars are expected to conduct themselves professionally, wear uniforms, and participate in cultural rituals as part of their normal school routines. Professionals from a wide array of careers act as mentors to provide scholarship and internship opportunities; they are successful male role models who partner with students in their development inside and outside of the classroom environment. Each fall, Eagle Academy hosts the All Male College Fair, and combined with regular college visits, our scholars are exposed to representatives from nearly one hundred colleges throughout their high school experience.
Fall 2016 Open Houses for Fall 2017 Admissions
For admissions consideration, prospective students and families must attend an open house. For fall 2017 admissions, our open house dates are Saturday, October 22, 2016 and Saturday, November 19, 2016. Both sessions run from 9:30am to 11:30am and are held at our building at 4143 3rd Avenue.
Each year, Eagle Academy receives over 1,500 applications for about 100 available seats.
The Admissions Process for Current NYC Students (Public/Private/Parochial)
Depending on which grade your son is entering, there are different procedures for applying to attend the Eagle Academy for Young Men.
Middle School Admissions
- For current 5th grade students wishing to attend in 6th grade, a Middle School Choice Application must be submitted through his 5th grade guidance counselor, with program code X231L. Then, both the student and parent must attend an admissions open house.
- For current 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students wishing to transfer into the middle school mid-year, you may be eligible to transfer to Eagle Academy directly if seats are available and program requirements can be met, and both prospective scholar and parent make an appointment to come to the school. As of November 2016, seats are presently available in the 6th and 8th grades. To transfer, you must contact firstname.lastname@example.org directly. Transfers can happen at any time for current middle school students wishing to immediately change schools.
High School Admissions
- For current 8th grade students, a High School Application must be submitted through his 8th grade guidance counselor, with program code X99X. Then, both student and parent must attend an admissions open house. Important note: admissions spots are guaranteed for current 8th grade Eagle students, but current Eagle 8th graders must also fill out a high school application.
- For current 9th grade students wishing to transfer for 10th grade, a High School Application must be submitted to your 9th grade guidance counselor, with program code X99X. Then, both student and parent must attend an admissions open house.
- For current 10th grade, 11th grade, and 12th grade students wishing to transfer, you must contact us at email@example.com to see if we have available seats, and upon recommendation from us, go to 1 Fordham Plaza, 7th floor, to request the transfer.
The Admissions Process for Non-NYC Students
For all admissions from outside of New York City, families must visit the Bronx Family Welcome Center at 1 Fordham Plaza, 7th floor, to request placement at the Eagle Academy for Young Men. For more information, visit the NYCDOE website.
The Eagle Academy for Young Men is a NYC Department of Education school. All policies regarding NYCDOE schools apply to the Eagle Academy for Young Men.
Frequently Asked Questions
How will my son receive transportation?
Scholars at Eagle Academy receive MetroCards, based on eligibility pursuant to the regulations of the Office of Pupil Transportation (OPT). Eagle Academy does not provide yellow busing for any scholar except for special education students who have transportation on their IEPs. View the OPT website for additional information.
What are the deadlines?
Middle school applications are due to guidance counselors no later than December 1, 2016. High school applications are due to their guidance counselors no later than December 1, 2016.
The Eagle Academy for Young Men • Bronx NY Updated on November 17, 2016