ROOM 61 ONLINE
How can parents help their students succeed?
- Require that your student spend at least 2 hours every night doing homework and reading for pleasure.
- Make sure your student has a quiet place with adequate lighting, away from distractions such as the TV and telephone to do their homework and their reading.
- Demand that your student earn the best grade they can, according to what you know their abilities to be, in every class. Reward them when they do, and punish them when they do not.
- Communicate with your student’s teachers—especially if your student has a need the teacher is not aware of (i.e. an extended absence, vision problems, previous struggles with an academic subject, family dynamics, etc.).
- Set goals with your student, and commit to helping your student achieve those goals.