Board Minutes

November 2019 Meeting

Minutes DYC Planning Meeting Nov 11, 2019

6:30-8:30 PM


Gardner Builders Duluth, 2 W 1st St Suite 133, Duluth, MN 55802, USA


Board Members Present: Dave Johnson, Commodore, Matt Rona, Vice Commodore, Jon Haaversen, Secretary, Jim Welinski, Treasurer, Steve Henry, Past Commodore, Susan Mattis Turnham (20), Tom Torgerson (20), Gini Breidenbach (20), Kelly McMahon (21), Laura Erkelenz (21), Christian Fraser (21)


Introductions (Pictures with Dave)


Bylaws

  • Section 14
    • more limited than state versions
    • Track the state statute. (Suggested by TT)
      • Section 9.2 for calling special meetings
  • Continue to hunt for gender neutrality issues throughout the document


Planning for the year

  • Board Meeting Schedule
    • Monthly (currently 2nd Monday of the month)
      • Need to confirm no conflict with boat club and DSSA
    • Finances
      • Purpose of the budget
        • Utilize it more vigorously?
        • Budget was in place by April last year
          • Set by January
        • For the future Budget should be getting set much earlier in the year (i.e. right now, goal for 2020 into 2021 season).

      • Race/membership fees
        • Can be good to go ASAP once prices are set (Done using SignMeUp
          • Fees and such will not start moving to the bank starting Jan 1
        • Additional charge for CC (3% flat fee across the board)
    • Tax Documents
      • Filed in the spring
    • Non Profit
      • Spring
    • Audit
    • Insurance - Official Mailing PO Box 18
      • US Sailing - Spring
        • Race Committee
        • On the Beach
      • Boat
        • October
    • Membership
      • Online application ready
    • Communications
      • Newsletter - Melissa France
        • Quarterly - Winter Social schedule
          • Before season starts May 1
          • Mid Summer
          • Late Summer
      • Leading Edge
        • Must have everything in by April 15 at the latest
        • Goal to have by April 1
      • Social
        • Continuous
      • Website
        • Ongoing
    • Racing
      • Schedule
        • Approve at December meeting
      • Online Registrations
        • Can be ready to go ASAP after race fees are set
        • Feb 1
      • NOR and SI
        • April 1 for leading edge
      • Skippers meeting
        • May
      • Ratings Review
        • Fall/May
        • On Thurs agenda
      • Class Assignments, Class Flags
        • May
      • Awards Trophies Flags
        • Sept
      • Scoring/results
        • Night of would be great
        • 24 hour at the longest
    • Socials
      • Schedule
        • Divvying up of Wednesday Races
          • Is being discussed within committee
          • Maybe adding into Leading Edge
            • April 1
        • Lake Superior Brewing is first one
        • By Nov for this winters schedules
      • Special Events
        • Skippers Meeting
          • Set Date in April
        • Banquet
          • November
    • Boat Club Site
      • Tent Permit
        • Submit Jan 1
        • Can only be a 90 day permit
      • Tent Raising/removal
    • Education
      • Events
        • Announced in Dec (for quarterly newsletter)
    • Annual meeting
      • 1 April
    • Nominating Committee
      • Nominate new by Sept
  • Who’s doing what
    • Communications
      • Social Media Hilary Madden - Jon Haaversen
      • Leading Edge Susan and David Turnham
      • Newsletter - Melissa France
      • Website - Dave Johnson, Justin Keepers, Gini Breidenbach
    • Finance - Tom Torgerson
      • Treasurer - Jim Welinski
      • Set Budget/Investment - Paul Buckley, Tom, Jim
    • Education
      • 3 Events planned by Justin Aulie
    • Race Committee
      • See Agenda
      • Boat of the year requirements need to be addressed
      • Make up date for races?
      • Duluth Entry/Commercial traffic
        • Explore at later date (Dave Johnson)
    • Social Events (Christian)
      • After Race Social (see Agenda)(Nannah Myers is Chair)
      • Special Events
      • Off Season
      • Awards Banquet (Laura E)
      • Skippers Meeting (Jim Welinski)
      • Address DYC Alcohol Concerns (Tom T)

Membership (Matt Ruona)

      • Recruitment (Laura E, Assist Matt R)
      • Member Database (Susan T)
      • Email List (Susan T)
      • Online Membership (Susan T)
      • Recruit Volunteers (Heidi Halker)
    • Boat Club Liaison
      • Kelly M
    • DSSA Merger (Dave Johnson, Christian Fraser, Nannah Myers, Kelly McMahon
    • Tent Site Manager (David T)
    • Nominating Committee (John Hoenig, Stacy McKenzie, David Turnham, Keith Stauber and Fred Duderhar)
    • Trans (Stacy McKenzie, Dave Johnson, John Vallez, Chris Henry)
    • Slideshow for banquet Brian Hammond
    • Complete Emergency Action Plan (Jon Haaversen, Eric Thomas)
    • Navy Ship Commissioning Event
      • No Date Set Yet
      • Dave Johnson, Laura E
    • Club Phone Number>?



Business for 11/10

  • Susan/Membership Fees
    • Concern with Treasurer about added fees about CC and Service fees to simplify work on treasurer
    • Jim wants to give them a fee, no extra added fees
      • Add 3% to fees, this is what we are charging
      • Jim needs to see the line item for the fees, period.
    • Board Approves a 3% raise if needed (goal of not to raise)
  • Jim has some items
    • Balance Sheets
    • P/L October
    • Do we want to put money down on Grey Solon
      • Social Committee
      • Do we have a date
      • Prices
        • Costs will be in the leading edge
      • Expenses are a detriment for many
        • Tiered approach, for those that can’t afford, can come in and get drinks, etc.
      • Motion by Susan
        • Second by Kelley
        • It goes
    • Contribution
      • Protocol for treasurer
        • What needs done for Jim to right a check
        • DSSA 1500 (upped to 2500)
          • Membership Vote to increase paid for by Trans (comes from the same pot)
        • Merger 2 cents
          • Jim S wants something to happen with the boat club site
          • Wants to know why (specifics)
  • Kelly
    • What are the issues
    • Boat Club Site
  • Gini
    • Nannah Myers Women at the helm (Thursday Meeting)

January 2020 meeting

When: January 13 2020 7:00pm


Where: Gardner Building


  • Board Members Present - Dave Johnson, Commodore, Jon Haaversen, Secretary, Jim Welinski, Treasurer, Susan Mattis Turnham (20), Gini Breidenbach (20), Kelly McMahon (21), Laura Erkelenz (21), Christian Fraser (21)


  • November Meeting Approved


  • Review the minutes from November (Jon)
    • Communications
      • Social Hilary Madden - Jon Haaversen
      • Leading Edge Susan and David Turnham
      • Newsletter - Melissa France
      • Website - Dave Johnson, Justin Keepers, Gini Breidenbach
    • Finance - Tom Torgerson
      • Treasurer - Jim Welinski
      • Set Budget/Investment - Paul Buckley, Tom, Jim
    • Education
      • 3 Events planned by Justin Aulie
    • Race Committee
      • Boat of the year requirements need to be addressed
      • Duluth Entry/Commercial traffic
        • Explore at later date (Dave Johnson)
    • Social Events (Christian)
      • After Race Social (see Agenda)(Nannah Myers is Chair)
      • Special Events
      • Off Season
      • Awards Banquet (Laura E)
      • Skippers Meeting (Jim Welinski)
      • Address DYC Alcohol Concerns (Tom T)
    • Membership (Matt Ruona)
      • Recruitment (Laura E, Assist Matt R)
      • Member Database (Susan T)
      • Email List (Susan T)
      • Online Membership (Susan T)
      • Recruit Volunteers (Heidi Halker)
    • Boat Club Leason
      • Kelly M
    • DSSA Merger (Dave Johnson, Christian Fraser, Nannah Myers, Kelly McMahon
    • Tent Site Manager (David T)
    • Nominating Committee (John Hoenig, Stacy McKenzie, David Turnham, Keith Stauber and Fred Duderhar)
    • Trans (Stacy McKenzie, Dave Johnson, John Vallez, Chris Henry)
    • Slideshow for banquet Brian Hammond
    • Complete Emergency Action Plan (Jon Haaversen, Eric Thomas)
    • Navy Ship Commissioning Event
      • No Date Set Yet
      • Dave Johnson, Laura E


  • Treasurer Report (Jim)
    • November
      • Slow month
    • December
      • Also Slow month
      • No Income
      • Greysolon Deposit
      • DSSA Donation
      • Insurance
    • P&L for 2019
      • Budget number came from prior year
      • Crew/Social went down
      • Race fees were almost spot on for expenses
      • Trans only made ~2500
        • Donation from Barkers brought it to 3500
      • Race equipment and supplies were way under
      • Boat repairs for new engine were high
    • Jim needs approval for new boat savings account
      • 1k per year
      • How many years on current boat?
        • Hull has many
        • Motor uncertain
      • Should it be 2k per year to be more realistic
      • Motion to create savings to start new boat fund
        • Transfer enough money to avoid fees from Secondary Checking
        • Motion to move 5k from secondary checking to new account for “new boat fund” and to add 2k to account every year after.
          • Passed
    • Donation to Jim Sharrow
      • Expressed his appreciation
      • 99 per year for Duluth Boat Club Affiliates


  • Race Committee Report
    • Proposed Schedule for 2020
      • Make Up Dates
    • NOR and SI Update
      • DNC should be scored uniformly
        • Number of finishers +1 for all races
      • Wednesday overall class champ
        • “The overall class championships will be scored as though they were a 3 race series where each ‘race’ is determined by a given boats final overall standing in the Spring, Summer, and Fall series.”
      • BOTY
        • Fray and July 4 race will not count
          • Leading edge will need update
        • Further issues are being tabled
      • Class split for nearshore
        • Determination will be made prior to the series start not adjusted part way through the season
      • Board passes motion to approve Page 1 of SI/NOR Decisions
    • Scoring Issues
    • Race Committee Members
      • A class: Keith
      • B class: Chris B
      • C class: Susan T
      • Jib and Main: Laurie S
      • J 24: Mike S
      • Open: Nannah M
    • Calendar
      • July Makeup Date
        • July 30 (for Summer Wednesday Series)
        • If this cannot work, race 4 count 3
        • If this does happen
          • Feedback Mechanism (EOY survey)
      • Duluth to Silver Bay
        • July 24
        • Last year was immediately after the trans
        • Goals was to get boats from the trans to stay for one more race
          • Might be worth to talk
        • Try on a non-Trans year to see if attendance is higher
        • Night start
          • Has to be to be on Friday
        • Kelly
          • Question and discussion on
      • Aug 30
        • Instead of 8 have 7 count with the 8th day as a makeup
      • Nanna
        • Series in a series
          • Women at the helm
          • Must have a female at the helm to count
          • Only with Nearshore
        • Regatta
          • Revamp J24
          • Weekend of the trans, but opposite year
            • Every other year
          • Aug 8 or 9
          • Open to J70/J80?
      • Tent
        • 90 day permit
        • 95 day calendar
        • Rather have the tent at the end of the season
      • Motion to Approve Calendar and Women at the Helm Series
        • Approved


  • Membership Update (Susan)
    • Website Link broken
    • It is up and running though


  • New Business
    • Mark Set Bot
      • RS will be sent info from DJ
    • Scoring Computer
      • DYC purchasing it’s own computer to run Sailwave
      • What does JV need and what will it cost
        • Anything else he might need
    • Boat club Update (KM)
      • Hold up with city
          • Community Involvement
            • How do we get people involved
          • Prove Ongoing funding (feasibility plan)
          • Up front capital (Individual $$ Commitment)
            • What do we have to start
        • Lease runs out in two years
          • City will not renew lease until we can prove all 3 items.
          • Needs to be full building, gazebo does not count.
          • Land Trust Outdoor Heritage Fund
            • Possible to get some funding from?
          • Trying to change the city contact as the club has been getting ignored
          • Duluth Park Land
            • Permitting
              • Tent covers that
          • 13th street needs/wants for DYC
            • Do you have/want a back-up plan?
    • Boat for UMD sailing team
    • Outreach to CYC and BVYC on Barthel Trophy
    • US Sailing Events for Club Leaders


  • DJ will fix membership link
  • What can DYC contribute to the city’s 3 points
  • Boat Club Discussion
    • Boat Clubs original idea was multi-million dollar
  • Feb Meeting
    • Race chair
      • JHo Budget Request
      • Set Race fees based on Budget
        • When was the last time they were adjusted?
  • Meeting adjourned