TY Parents Information
Important Information for Transition Years and Parents
Work Placement 1 takes place the week beginning 09 December 2019 (full week)
**Every student must return after midterm with their December work placement sorted**
The completion of two weeks work experience during the academic year is a core requirement for students undertaking the Transition Year Programme at the Abbey Vocational School.
This placement allows the students to experience a workplace setting for a short duration. It may also provide the students with opportunities to explore various career interests they may have developed. The goal is to encourage them to learn by reflecting on their experiences.
There is widespread acceptance of work experience as a vital element of such programmes and of the fact that the educational benefits far outweigh any difficulties encountered.
Work Placement 2 takes place the week beginning 24 February 2019 (full week)
- Students are expected to organise a different work placement for each of the weeks in question
- These placements should be discussed with and approved by the Guidance Counsellor
- The Principal will ultimately decide on the suitability of the work placements chosen
- The two placements should be in different areas of employment reflecting the interests of the student or the career path they wish to follow.
- Placements may be active or shadowing. In an ‘active’ placement the student will ideally work as a regular employee and carry out suitable tasks as per instruction; while ‘shadowing’ placement allows the student to follow a professional for the week and see what their job entails. Shadow placements are common when a student wishes to work in an area where confidentiality is an issue.
For Information see the Work Experience Policy available on our website here.
Abbey Vocational TY Musical - West Side Story
Cast members are currently rehearsing regularly for this years TY musical.
The dates and times for the musical are:
Tues 26th, Wed 27th and Fri 29th of November @7.30 pm in The St John Bosco Centre.
Ms Rooney will be selling advanced ticket bookings for Parents/Guardians of cast members on Wednesday the 30th of October in the school.