Ward 16 News and Updates
Michelle's Ward Forums and Events:
- Join me at PIAC's ANNUAL SCHOOL COUNCIL APPRECIATION EVENT
- Thursday February 21, 2019
- Montecassino Banquet Hall
- Registration will open soon - Free
- February 28th - 6:30pm at Adam Beck (Library)
- March 18th (tentative) - Joint Ward 15/16 Ward Forum on Budget Priorities and the Multi-year strategic plan. TBD https://www.tdsb.on.ca/Portals/0/leadership/board_room/Multi-Year_Strategic_Plan.pdf
- April 25th - Special Education Presentation with Q & A
- May (TBD) - French Program Review
- June (TBD) - School Council Succession planning
News From Ward 16 Schools
- Winter Walk Day - February 6, 2019. What is your school doing to promote healthy, active routes to school? https://www.tdsb.on.ca/ecoschools/Home/Feature-Archive/Winter-Walk-Day
- TDSB Extreme Weather Procedures: https://www.tdsb.on.ca/About-Us/Detail/docId/242
Great Ideas from Ward 16 Schools:
- Demystifying the IEP - A Special Education Presentation for Norway & Bowmore Communities. February 7th @ 6pm @ Norway P.S.
- Presentation: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/12ZsrQGjg1gkaPf-5fUY_1oLvUqniM3YIzdDv3MdX81c/edit?usp=sharing
- Read about Crescent Town’s Student Voice Crew: https://www.tdsb.on.ca/About-Us/Innovation/TrendingAtTDSB/trendingATtdsb-Article08-CrescentTown
- Read about our local Canadian Outstanding Principal, Crescent Town's Harpreet Ghuman
- Malvern Strong Benefit Concert - Thursday February 7th @ 7pm. In memory of Reese Fallon, all proceeds from the concert ($10 tickets), silent auction, and bake sale will be donated to support the students' chosen cause - Victim Services Toronto
- George Webster E.S. is now part of a "Active & Safe Routes to School" Pilot lead by Green Communities Canada in partnership with the TDSB and the City of Toronto. Safe Routes to School is geared at promoting healthy, active, and safe routes for students and families to get school.
- Bowmore Rd. P.S. Allergy Awareness Week - February 11th - 15th. A week long education campaign to make the school a safer place for students with life-threatening allergies. Contact VP Steve Parsons for more information.
- STEAM Initiatives - Crescent Town E.S and Presteign Hts E.S. have each launched new Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math initiatives called "Monthly Thinker" and "Maker Club" respectively, to help develop global competency skills including global citizenship and character, inquiry, and communication.
- The Malvern Collegiate Music Department is holding its Annual Winter Blues Dinner/Dance Fundraising event being held on Saturday February 23, 2019. The evening is highlighted by entertainment by the many Malvern Music ensembles and will include a silent auction and other prizes. Tickets available through School Cash Online or email@example.com .
- Monarch Park Collegiate will be working with the Enhanced Pathway model beginning in 2019. This is the placement (destreaming) of all Gr 9 students into Math and English classes at the Academic level with supports and bridging courses as required. Contact your Principal or Guidance Counsellor for more information.
- Malvern Collegiate will be switching from full-year to the Semestered course model for 2019. More information can be found here.
Beaches - East York Community News and Events
Councillor Bradford's Beaches-East York Community Events
- Budget Consultation with Con. Fletcher, Tuesday February 5th, 7pm @ East York Civic Centre
- Communitiy Skates:
- Sunday, February 17, 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at Ted Reeve Community Arena, 175 Main Street
- Sunday, February 24, 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at East York Memorial Arena, 888 Cosburn Avenue
Monarch Park Stadium (MPS) 2019 Family Day event! Monday February 18th from 9am - 2pm at Monarch Park Stadium: https://www.facebook.com/events/231195804470465/
12th annual Kids Program Open House
- Sat. Feb. 23, 11am - 2pm at the Beaches Recreation Centre.
- The event showcases a variety of programs and services available for children ages 0-16. Meet face to face with program organizers to discover and discuss the unique classes to help children develop new skills and interests.
Community Events with MPP Rima Berns-McGown
- Education Town Hall - February 27th, 2019