LET'S GO AWAY TOGETHER
The Pack Your Practice Retreat is a small group retreat-style training and vacation for therapists with an existing private practice and curiosity about the possibilities of online video therapy.
WHO ARE YOU?
- a seasoned therapist with an existing office-based private practice
- a lover of travel with a longing to travel more without sacrificing your practice
- an out-of-the-box thinker
- contemplating retirement or a move
- curious about online practice but intimidated by all things tech
- circling burn-out; needing to change something but not sure what
- curious or skeptical about if it's really possible to enjoy an atuned therapeutic relationship online
WHO AM I?
- Megan Barnes Zesati, LCSW-S from Austin Texas with private psychotherapy practice since 2007 and Founder of Pack Your Practice
- Packed my own psychotherapy practice of 10 years and enjoyed a year of international travel in 2017 & 2018
- Want to break down the barriers to bringing seasoned clinicians to online work
- Eager to share what I learned in my year away about moving your practice online and/or beginning to offer online therapy within your existing practice
- Bilingual in Spanish, 20 years of past experiences studying, traveling, living and working in Oaxaca
The retreat will begin with a welcome dinner on the evening of Friday, February 14, 2020 and conclude with a closing breakfast on Tuesday, February 19, 2020.
Oaxaca City, Mexico
$995/person. This includes 4 nights of accommodations and 4 breakfasts, 1:1 support for the tech-challenged, 6 Hours Ethics CE, informed consent template-builder for online therapy and two follow-up gatherings to integrate our learning and experience.
WHY PACK YOUR PRACTICE?
Many of us have had the experience of an occasional video call to stay connected to a client who has moved or is travelling. Pack Your Practice provides training for therapists who are interested in being able to leave the office setting for longer stretches of time, without sacrificing continuity of care to their clients.
Online therapy is different from the therapy that you already provide in your office setting, but not as different as you may imagine. With some training and thoughtful exploration of the clinical, ethical and technical considerations of remote therapy, you will learn that it IS possible to offer quality clinical care online.
In the Pack Your Practice Retreat, you will earn continuing education credits, write off your travel expenses and learn both the nuts and bolts and clinical ethical considerations of offering online/video therapy. After this combined vacation and training, you can expect to leave with a clear understanding of the practicalities, possibilities and limitations of online work for your practice.
Absolutely no prior experience with online work or technological know-how is needed for this retreat. There will be open "office hours" to troubleshoot as you learn and 1:1 support. Just bring your laptop, tablet or smartphone and we will start from ground zero with a step-by-step approach to getting you set-up. I recommend scheduling one online session (mock sessions with a friend back home are fine) while on retreat so that this training can be truly experiential.
Oaxaca is a city that is near and dear to my heart and I am so excited to share it with you! I have spent the past 20 years visiting this city--first as a student of Spanish, then as a graduate school social work intern, and many times after with my husband and family. Oaxaca is a safe, magical and vibrant city with more to explore that one could possibly cram into 4 days. In fact, I highly recommend that you extend your stay beyond the dates of the retreat to explore and I'm happy to provide recommendations on accommodations, activities, food and more during your other days.
Situated within a valley of the Sierra Madre mountain range, Oaxaca offers a temperate summer climate in which you can experience the incredible food, indigenous cultures, rich traditions, ancient ruins, and artisan craftsmanship of surrounding villages.
We will stay in El Diablo y La Sandia, a charming B&B with eight rooms located in heart of this walkable and safe colonial city of artistic and culinary delights. We will begin each day of this training with homemade breakfast and will workshop for a few hours every day, while the rest of your time will be yours to explore this amazing colonial city in planned group activity or on your own. There will be a full schedule of curated events and offerings during your stay and all activities and events after the daily morning workshops are optional. Spanish language classes are optional.
We will partner with Traditions Oaxaca and Seasons of My Heart for village excursions and cooking classes. In the afternoons and evenings you can rejoin the group for late lunch or dinner or dine on your own.