4th of July Parade Band
All current 6 through 12 grade students are invited to participate in the DeForest Marching Band, along with alumni, community, and family members that have experience playing a band instrument!
2019 Director: Brandon Bautz, high school band director. Please direct any questions to him at firstname.lastname@example.org OR 842-6822
Volunteer Assistant Instructors for 2019: TBA
Text Message Alerts
Please text the message "@defoband4" (without quotes) to the number "81010" to receive important alerts and reminders regarding the parade band.
Fourth of July 2019 Timeline
- Early to Mid-April - Informational letter/form e-mailed home.
- Registrations are due Friday, May 10, 2019 (lyre payments to Mr. Skaleski's DAMS mailbox).
Potluck and Rehearsal Times
- 5:00 PM - Percussion Rehearsal (if needed)
- 5:00 PM - Potluck set-up in the HS choir room at 5:00 PM.
- 5:30 to 5:50 - Potluck dinner in HS choir room.
- 6:00 - 8:00 PM - Full Group Rehearsals / Sectionals
- Friday, June 28 6 to 8 PM - Rehearsal
- Monday, July 1 6 to 8 PM- Rehearsal
- Tuesday, July 2 6 to 8 PM- Rehearsal
- Wednesday, July 3 6 to 8 PM- Dress Rehearsal
- Thursday, July 4 - Performance.
- Meet at exit door 26 behind the PAC.
- You will have to park at a distance and walk to the high school because there is no parking available at the high school.
- 9:30 AM - Parents, drop off your child on Jefferson Street around this time.
- 10 AM - Call time (for run-through indoors).
- 10:30 AM - Set-up outside.
- 10:40 AM - Likely time for call to attention.
- 10:45 AM - Likely time for march/mark time command.
- 11:20 AM - Likely close. Drink water. Get into concert positions to perform 4-song mini-concert on Family Stage (Fireman's Park)
- 11:30 - Mini-concert at the Family Stage.
- 11:45 AM - Dismissed - return to high school to return equipment and shirts by 12 Noon.
- Lyre (holds music close to your instrument)
- Flip folder and flip folder windows (recommended, but optional)
- Clarinets: Legere synthetic reed (recommend strength is 1/4 less than your regular reed)
- Alto and Tenor Saxophones: Legere synthetic reed (recommend strength is 1/4 less than your regular reed)
- Tennis shoes (NO croc-like shoes or flip-flops of any kind)
Fundamentals of Marching
We generally march in a corps-style in DeForest. Click here to read about what we do, specifically.
These videos below may be useful for those that need to review a topic we reviewed that is still unclear. Please note that, while most of this is similar, there are some small variations we do here in DeForest.
1. Rest Position (At Ease)
2. Standing at Attention (Pistol Position)
8. Initial Step-Off (We add a knee pop to get the left leg in position for the pick-up beat)
9. "Check and Close" (How to stop)
10. Backwards March - Front View (Not used for parade)
11. Backwards March - Side View (Not used for parade)
12. "Check and Close" Backwards (Not used for parade)
Resources for 2019
Potluck and Volunteer Sign-Up
- Click here for the sign-up page (will be shared Spring 2019)
Parade and Return Route
- North on S Halsor St. - 0.2 mi
- West on E Holum St. - 0.7 mi
- South on S Main St. - 472 ft.
- East on Commerce St. - 0.1 mi
- 1.2 miles (~23 minutes)
We will have a brief 10-15 minute mini-concert near the end of the parade route. Location to be determined.
Returning Route (everyone needs to return shirts and borrowed equipment)
- Take Jefferson St. all the way back to the high school.