Resource Center - New Band Students
Band Information for New Students - 2017-2018.pdf
Timeline for Joining in 2018-2019
March 20-23, 2017 - Norski Time
- Mouthpiece fittings for flute, clarinet, trumpet, trombone/baritone, and tuba for every 5th grade student. Initial choices made for top 3 instruments. Students indicate their choice of yes, no, or maybe for band. Sign-up information is sent home and e-mailed.
After Spring Break during Norski Time
- Current 8th graders and 7th and 8th grade jazz band members will perform a "showcase" concert for all 5th grades.
Monday April 17, 2017
- Registration Form Closes at 11:59 PM. Sign up for band is still possible after this time, but students that sign up after cannot be considered for alto saxophone or percussion.
Tuesday April 18, 2017 at 7 PM in the 5/6 Gym
- A required informational meeting for prospective students and parents will be held in the 5/6 gym at the middle school. Students and families can then sign up for instrument try-out times and will receive summer school information. Families that cannot make this meeting should schedule an appointment with Mr. Skaleski.
Friday April 21, 2017 from ~11:30 to 12:43
- MAP (Musical Aptitude Profile) rhythm sense testing for interested percussion students. Percussionists should then ensure they sign up for a final instrument selection time to pass a percussion audition.
April 24 and 25, 2017 during the school day and after school
- Final instrument selections will be done, pending percussion and alto saxophone results. Please save these dates on your calendar. We HIGHLY RECOMMEND parents be present during these times. Each child will have a 15 minute appointment slot.
- April 24 - 9 to 11 AM; 1 to 8 PM - 15 minute slots
- April 25 - 9 to 11 AM; 1 to 6 PM - 15 minute slots
After Monday, May 1, 2017
- Percussion and saxophone choices are made. Students/families must accept alto saxophone or percussion by phone or e-mail by the end of the day on Friday, May 6.
- Summer school registration e-mailed to families. Must complete by the end of May 2017. Students asked to pick a 2nd choice instrument must confirm that choice.
Late May, 2017
- Student rentals and purchases should be finalized. Baritone availability is finalized no later than this time; students are informed of availability of instruments. Students should purchase mouthpieces and other equipment as requested.