Large Group Festival
Each year, the 8th grade band participates in an adjudicated workshop where they work with other band directors and receive tips, advice, and praise for their collective performance. This also satisfies the requirements for our school to continue being a Wisconsin School Music Association member school. This is typically held in the spring.
Traditionally our large group festival is held at the popular Kalahari Band Festival at the Wisconsin Dells Kalahari Resort. The students perform, participate in a workshop, then enjoy the remainder of the day in the Kalahari theme and waterparks! We also occasionally participate in the High Note Festival near Gurnee, Illinois with the 8th grade choir.
The field trip form, as well as an informational packet and maps, can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.
2018 Festival Resources
2018 Schedule (Wed. May 23)
- EAT LUNCH EARLY (11 AM)
- LOAD BUS 11:20 AM
- DEPART 11:30 AM
- ARRIVE 12:30 PM
- 12:30 PM - Arrive and receive park passes. Leave instruments on bus but bring change of clothes - keep in locker.
- Lockers are $10, 15, or $20 depending on the size. 4 students can usually share a $20 locker if they don't bring too much.
- 1:00-4:00 - Fun in Water Park and/or Theme Park
- A family changing room is also available at the back of the water park.
- 4:00-4:30 - Dry Off / Get Dressed for Performance / Hydrate. Meet at drop-off entrance by 4:30 to unload bus.
- 4:30 - Move In to Homeroom (Wisteria). Bus Pulls to Loading Area. Retrieve instruments. Assemble instruments (except for reeds). No playing.
- 5:00 - Listen and evaluate Little Chute 8th Grade Band
- 5:30 - Pizza Dinner (RINSE WITH WATER AFTER) and Magic Show with Ryan Martin
- 6:00 - Warm-Up / Tune
- 6:30 - Perform (Riverview MS, Silver Lake and Columbus will listen to us)
- 7:00 - Brass/Woodwind Clinic with Dr. Glenn Hayes (UW-Whitewater) in Cypress room. Percussion Clinic in Guava room with Mr. Ken Paris.
- 7:30 - Listen to Riverview MS, Silver Lake 8th Grade Band
- 8:00 - Clear Room and Load Bus
- 8:30 - Depart
- 9:30 - Arrive at DMS
- Get plenty of sleep, as our final concert of the year is the next day!