Large Group Festival
Each year, the 8th grade band participates in an adjudicated workshop where they work with other band directors and college music education students. They receive tips, advice, and praise for their collective performance. This also satisfies the requirements for our school to continue being a Wisconsin School Music Association accredited school. This event is typically held in the spring when 8th grade is at their peak.
Traditionally our large group festival is held at the popular Beyond the Notes Festival at the Wisconsin Dells Kalahari Resort. The students perform, participate in a workshop, then enjoy the remainder of the day in the Kalahari theme and waterparks! We also occasionally participate in the High Note Festival near Gurnee, Illinois with the 8th grade choir.
The field trip form, as well as an informational packet and maps, can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.
2019 Festival Resources
2019 Schedule (Fri. May 24 - Day After Our Concert)
Get as much sleep as you can the night before! I recommend passing on the Culver's post-concert experience...
- LOAD BUS FROM DOOR #4: 6:00-6:20 AM (sorry)
- DEPART: 6:20 AM
- ARRIVE: 7:20 AM
- 7:20 AM - Move In. Bus Pulls to Loading Area. Retrieve instruments. Move into warm-up room (Wisteria). Assemble instruments (except for reeds). No playing yet.
- 8:00 - Warm-Up / Tune
- 8:40 - Perform (Randall MS - Burlington will listen to us)
- 9:20 - Clinic with Dr. Phil Ostrander (UW-Eau Claire) and Dr. Tammy Fisher (UW-La Crosse)
- 10:00 - Put away instruments in warm-up room. Receive lunch passes. Pizza Lunch
- 10:40 - Listen and evaluate Kromrey Middle School - Middleton
- 11:20 - Clear Warm-Up Room (Wisteria) and Load Bus with Band Equipment (same load location as unload). Unload change of clothes / other supplies for water and theme parks. Receive park passes.
- 11:30 - Fun in Water Park and/or Theme Park
- Lockers are $10, 15, or $20 depending on the size. 4 students can usually share a $20 locker if they don't bring too much.
- A family changing room is also available at the back of the water park.
- 1:30 PM - Dry Off / Get Dressed for Performance / Hydrate
- 1:50 - Load Bus (same location as previous load/unload)
- 2:00 - Depart
- 3:00 - Arrive at DAMS - De-Brief in Band Room
- 3:15 - School day ends
The 2019 field trip form and shirt order form are posted below
The t-shirt form is just for reference. Optional shirt orders can be done on the field trip form.