Large Group Festival
Each year, the 8th grade band participates in an adjudicated workshop where they work with other band directors and receive tips, advice, and praise for their collective performance. This also satisfies the requirements for our school to continue being a Wisconsin School Music Association member school. This is typically held in the spring.
Traditionally our large group festival is held at the popular Kalahari Band Festival at the Wisconsin Dells Kalahari Resort. The students perform, participate in a workshop, then enjoy the remainder of the day in the Kalahari theme and waterparks! We also occasionally participate in the High Note Festival near Gurnee, Illinois with the 8th grade choir.
The field trip form, as well as an informational packet and maps, can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.
If you already have a LiveStream account, simply click "Login" under the Create Account button. Otherwise, if you are new, you need to make a free account:
- Click on the link above
- Enter your e-mail and click on “Join with Email” (or do the “Join with Facebook”...that is easy too!)
- After you enter you email address you will see that an e-mail has been sent to you.
- Go to your email account and follow the instructions.
- You will be directed back to the Livestream site to Login.
- Once you are logged in you should click the "Discover" tab and search “Band Festival at the Kalahari” (or just click here).
- You will then see this screen and will be able to select "Day 1”, "Day 2", or “Day 3”. DeForest is performing at 9 AM 5/24 Wednesday - Day 1.
2018 Schedule (Wed. May 23)
- EAT LUNCH EARLY (11 AM or so)
- LOAD BUS 11:20 AM
- DEPART 11:30 AM
- ARRIVE 12:30 PM
- 12:30 PM - Arrive and receive park passes. Leave instruments on bus but bring change of clothes - keep in locker.
- 1:00-4:00 - Fun in Water Park and/or Theme Park
- 4:00-4:30 - Dry Off / Get Dressed for Performance / Hydrate
- 4:30 - Move In. Bus Pulls to Loading Area. Retrieve instruments. Assemble instruments (except for reeds). No playing.
- 5:00 - Listen to Little Chute 8th Grade Band
- 5:30 - Pizza Dinner (RINSE WITH WATER AFTER)
- 6:00 - Warm-Up / Tune
- 6:30 - Perform (Riverview MS, Silver Lake and Columbus will listen to us)
- 7:00 - Band and Percussion Clinics
- 7:30 - Listen to Riverview MS, Silver Lake 8th Grade Band
- 8:00 - Clear Room and Load Bus
- 8:30 - Depart
- 9:30 - Arrive at DMS