Chemistry is the study of the composition, properties, and behavior of matter. Students will also become familiar with the periodic table, nomenclature, and stoichiometry. Lab activities and complex problem solving will be an important part of the learning process in this course.
1. Textbook: Modern Chemistry: Holt, Rinehart, & Winston
2. Scientific calculator – this is an absolute necessity for problem solving with numbers in scientific notation.
Homework, quizzes, & labs 50%
Semester grades will weight each quarter 45% and the semester test 10%.
All students will be required to pass a lab safety and procedures test. A score of 100% is the only acceptable passing grade. Students will also be required to sign a lab safety and rules contract. Participation in the lab will not be allowed until these requirements have been met.
Science Class Rules and Expectations
1. Be on time or have a pass with you.
2. Bring everything you need for class with you. Locker trips will be limited.
3. Hand in assignments on time. Late papers will only receive partial credit.
4. Be respectful of other people and their property.
5. No candy, pop, or colored drinks for students. Water is OK but not in the lab area. Gum is OK as long as I don’t see it or hear it but it is also prohibited in the lab.
6. Absolutely no cell phone use during science class. Cell phones will be left with the teacher if leaving the room.
7. Absolutely no horseplay in the lab.