I am very excited to be your child's 4th grade language arts teacher on Team Integrity. Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
Get to know Mrs. Good:
- Teaching for 16 years
- Graduated from East Stroudsburg University with a degree in Elementary and Special Education
- Masters' Degree in Reading from York College
- Family-2 daughters (Natalie-7th grade and Morgan-5th grade) and husband (Mr. Good)
- Hobbies-raising animals, gardening, reading, spending time with my family and friends
Things to Know for the beginning of the school year:
The 3 subject notebook will be used to organize language arts materials. This will stay at school in the student's locker and be brought to class each day.
Daily reading at home will be required. 15-20 minutes each day or a total of 100 minutes per week. Each student will be given passages on Monday and will be required to read them at home during the week. On Friday, as a language arts class we will discuss the passages in a engaging and meaningful way. You can utilize Google Classroom to access the passages and to have them read aloud. Readers may read books from home, library books, classroom library books, magazines, or any other text in addition to the required passages/text. Read, read, read to become a better reader!! Let's develop a love of reading in 4th grade!
Word work-look for study guides in student's agendas. This will begin the week of September 3rd. Each study guide will be given for 2 weeks and the quiz will be on Friday.
Students may bring a book from home for independent reading in school.
1st trimester Focus
- Reading strategies
- Difference between fiction and non fiction
- Characters-traits and development
- Types of conflict
- RACES response
- Historical fiction
- DRAs will be given and guided reading/literature discussion groups will be formed based on each reader's instructional level. Literacy centers (rotations) will begin.
- Writing strategies
- RACES response-connection between reading and writing
- Academic vocabulary words related to reading
- Prefixes, suffixes or roots
- Misused words
- Grammar focus (parts of speech)
Websites to use at home:
- Google Classroom
- Moby Max