April 12, 2019
- SEL- Students are learning about life skills
- Fundations- Unit 13 - vowel teams , many students need to take their time and practice with the many vowel teams we have learned. Test MONDAY April 15. The fundation units are getting harder, there are always new skills we are adding.
- Schoolwide- We have completed nonfiction stories, we are now working on non-fiction writing. . All of our mentor texts are by Gail Gibbons. We are also working on poetry, if your child has, or can get, poetry books these are great for fluency. Students have been given a DIamante poem to work on at home as a draft, this is due Monday. This type of poem was explained and modelled at school. Also remember to do 20 minutes a night for reading logs.
- Math-We are learning to add and subtract with numbers up to 1,000, Unit 5 . Unit 5 test will be Thurs. April 18. We are also working on counting money. This is a very important skill, please practice at home. Remember to work on Dreambox at least 20 minutes a day.
- Science- Unit 5 Environment for Living Things
NOTES AND NEWS:
Please remind your child to take their time and do their best work at school. Many students have spring fever. Please remind them there are MANY learning days left.
We have started a couple new things in the classroom. First, the students made seating charts and I picked one, tweaked it a little, and we are sitting in that arrangement. Each group can earn tallies each day. The group with the most tallies at the end of the month will be rewarded.
Also I have given each student 3 sticks, these are to be given to me when a useless question is asked, NOT a learning question. An example is where do I turn my paper in, etc. They are to make good choices when coming to my desk to ask me questions. I am trying to instill more independence, I have told them I treat them as a third grader and expect a lot more from them than I did in August.
We are collecting BOXTOPS, LABELS- please put HICKS ROOM 2 on bag of labels. We are having a contest.
We are now collecting dried out markers and dry erase markers.
WE are in desperate need of index cards, small/large baggies, and paper towels.Think of us when you are out shopping.
*Mon. April 15 Diamante Poem Due
*Fri. April 19 - No School
*Mon. April 22 - No School
*Weds. April 24- Secretary's Day
*May 6-10 Teacher Appreciation Week
*Mon. May 6- Nurses Day
*Fri. May 17 Second Grade Musical, program is at 10 AM and 2 PM
*FrI. May 24 11:55 Dismissal
*Mon. May 27 No School Memorial Day
*Mon. June 10 Field Day
*Tues. June 11 last day of school, early dismissal 2:00