Community Education Council for District 25
New York City's Community Education Councils (CECs) are charged with promoting student achievement, advising and commenting on educational policies, and providing input to the Chancellor and the Panel for Educational Policy (PEP) on matters of concern to the district. The powers and duties of CECs are spelled out in NYS Education Law §2590-e; those of Citywide Councils can be found in §2590-b.
The responsibilities of CEC members include:
- Approving zoning lines, as submitted by the superintendent;
- Reviewing the district’s educational programs and assessing their effect on student achievement;
- Submitting an annual evaluation of the superintendent to the Chancellor, and consulting on the selection of the community superintendent;
- Serving as liaisons to School Leadership Teams and providing assistance;
- Holding public hearings on the district’s annual capacity plans and submitting to the chancellor a CEC-approved plan based on enrollment/utilization data for each school in the district;
- Holding joint public hearings with the chancellor (or designee) for any proposed school closing or significant change in school utilization; and
- Preparing a district report card and ensuring its public distribution.
CEC25 Meeting Schedule
Meetings location: 30-48 Linden Place Flushing, NY 11356
Meetings start time: 7:00PM