Welcome to Science Olympiads!
The National Science Olympiad is an organization devoted to improving the quality of science education and increasing student interest in science. We are part of the Santa Clara County Regional Science Olympiad. At CMS, we have two teams of 15 students each, and one study team of 5 students, that prepare throughout the school year to compete in SciOly tournaments. The tournament consists of 23 events that encourage learning in biology, earth science, chemistry, physics, problem solving, coding, and technology. Students who participate in Science Olympiads are expected to dedicate multiple hours per week studying for their events, including one hour at CMS team meetings after school each week.
Timeline for 2019-2020:
- August: Team Registration, Student information meeting, Team application and tryout
- August 22 - Information meeting @ lunch in room 22
- August 29 - Turn in application by 3pm in room 22
- August 29 - Tryout exam @ 3pm in room 22
- September: Team selection and event assignments, Weekly team meetings begin.
- September 1 (Sunday) - Teams invited to Google Classroom
- September 3 (Tuesday) - Teams posted outside room 22
- September 4 - First student meeting!
- September 18 - Parent meeting in room 22 @ 4pm, immediately following student meeting
- October - March: Weekly team meetings continue, Purchasing event supplies as needed, Students expected to prepare independently at least 30 min per week per event.
- January/February: Packing event supplies as needed for transport to invitationals (students are expected to check out and return CMS Science Department equipment responsibly), Participate in at least 1 invitational
- March: Packing event supplies as needed for transport to Santa Clara regional (students are expected to check out and return CMS Science Department equipment responsibly), Participate in Santa Clara regional