This Week at CHS 9/25/2017
After nearly a week of dreary weather, finally a burst of glorious sun to herald the start of our 5th week of school. I hope you have enjoyed the weather, had a relaxing weekend and are ready to visit with us at Meet the Teacher Night tomorrow. The administrative team will be out and about and look forward to meeting you as well. We'll see you then!
Cumberland High School
Meet the Teacher!
I cannot stress the importance of meeting your students' teachers enough. This is a special event that we take quite seriously here at Cumberland High School as it is an opportunity to meet the professionals who influence your students' lives everyday. I know that you will arrive with high expectations and pledge that you will not leave disappointed. Teachers have prepared informative presentations to give you a comprehensive idea of the daily workings of their classes. They can explain upcoming curriculum and classroom/school policies and expectations. Meeting the teacher helps foster trust, cooperation and communication between parents and teachers and greatly improves students' opportunities for success. Events that bring stakeholders together for discourse and reflection are absolute necessities for progressive learning communities.
Each class period will last approximately 10 minutes with a passing period in between. You might ask your student to provide you with a copy of his/her schedule before the event. If you don't have a schedule for your student, please visit the cafeteria in the main building for assistance when you arrive.
- Meet the Teacher Night at CHS is Monday, September 25, 2017 from 6-8 pm. Parents will get to meet the CHS faculty by following students' schedules. Teachers will provide an overview of the course and will answer general questions. We hope to see you there!
- Late bus service has resumed and is available everyday after school except Wednesday. Students must have the appropriate pass to stay after school and ride the late bus. Students should request the pass from the Student Management office.
- Free & Reduced Lunch: Free and reduced lunch forms need to be filled out and submitted EVERY school year. Please make sure your student brings a form home to you, fill out and return ASAP.
- Clipper Couture: Homecoming and Winter Ball will be here before you know it! Don't spend 100's of dollars on your dress. Come to "Clipper Couture" where ALL semi-dresses are just $20!! Visit the dress shop in the former Tech Room (across from the cafeteria) everyday after school starting on Monday, September 25! All sizes, colors and styles to choose from! To request a private showing click this link.
- Spirit Week T-Shirts: Show your class spirit! Each class has a different unique shirt that will be worn during Spirit Week! Shirts are $10 and MUST be ordered by September 29th! Order forms are in the main office and with your class advisors. Show your spirit CHS!! Go Blue!
- School counselors will be visiting freshmen advisories this week to introduce themselves and to provide the students with some basic information. Counselors will be in advisories on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.
- The annual CHS College Fair is Thursday, October 5, 2017. Expect details for the event in next week's newsletter.
The U.S. Census Bureau is now accepting applications for more than 1,000 temporary positions that will support peak operations for the 2018 End-to End Census Test in Providence County, R.I.
Applicants can apply online by visiting census.gov/2018jobs. Applicant help sessions will take place in specified locations for those who do not have access to the internet and need a place to apply or need assistance applying. The hourly rate for census enumerators is $18.00-$21.25. For census field supervisors, the rate is $21.00-$24.25 per hour.
For more information on Census Bureau jobs in Providence County, please visit census.gov/2018censustest or call 1-866-593-6155. For more information about the Census Bureau, applicants can also visit the Census Bureau’s Facebook, Twitter and Linkedln pages.