What is provided?
Infosys Foundation USA will host the Pathfinders Winter Institute 2020, an immersive 3 days of in-person professional development in Computer Science and Making at the University of Rhode Island in Providence, RI from February 16-19, 2020. The CS Awesome team is proud to announce that we will be one of many curriculum providers participating in this event!
Teachers attending the CS Awesome Pathfinders professional development immersion experience will:
- learn to use the CS Awesome curriculum to teach College Board's AP Computer Science A (Java) course
- be part of a professional learning community, supported by a master teacher experienced with CS Awesome
- receive academic year support from a master teacher and through an online discussion forum
- have access to the CS Awesome student curriculum and teacher materials (e.g. discussion forum, lesson plans, & teacher guides)
- receive travel support to Providence, RI.
The professional development is 60 hours total; the first 3 days will be on site with the remaining hours completed online over the following 7 weeks (~5 hours/week). Follow up support during the 2020-21 academic year is also included, led by the PD facilitator.
How much does it cost?
The CS Awesome Pathfinders course costs $2,341 per teacher, but is FREE for the first 25 eligible U.S. public high school teachers after 100% funding from Infosys Foundation USA and Google. Pathfinders fees cover course tuition, lodging, conference meal plans, and transportation, if applicable. Learn more at InfyPathfinders.org.
Eligibility & Application
Preference will be given to teachers who...
- are high school teachers, teaching in grades 9-12 (Required)
- are planning to teach the CS A course in the 2020-21 academic year (Required)
- are able to provide research data (Required)
- are new to CS A and Java programming
- Note: we will ask that you submit a signed principal's approval form verifying you are planning to teach the course and submit research data
Prerequisites for teachers: Teachers will need to bring their own laptop and some programming experience, such as CS Principles.
Apply Now! Applications for Pathfinders Winter Institute are now open. All public high school teachers are invited to apply. Special consideration will be given to high-needs schools, teachers from underrepresented communities, those new to teaching CS, and districts demonstrating significant commitment to these subjects.
Select "CS Awesome Pathfinders" as your course selection on the application
You'll also need to upload a completed Administrator Letter of Support
Click the link above to download the draft copy, edit the text, and save as a text file with your school's letterhead to upload during the application process.