Computer Science Teaching Endorsement
Teacher Education in Computer Science
The Teaching Education in Computer Science (TECS) program leads to a Computer Science Endorsement on an Illinois teacher’s license. If you want to get licensed by the ISBE to teach Computer Science, this is the way to do it!
How Do I Get Endorsed?
Illinois State University (ISU) has an ISBE-approved program of study that leads to a state endorsement to teach Computer Science. After you complete the TECS Program of study, you'll take the state of Illinois’s Content Examination in Computer Science. After you pass, you get your endorsement!
I Don’t Live Anywhere Near Illinois State University...
Lots of CPS teachers want to get endorsed, but live far away from ISU. To serve those folks, ISU partners with Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU), and counts classes taken at NEIU toward its TECS Program. NEIU courses are typically taught at their Main Campus or El Centro Campus, and any ISU classes you take are taught online or in Chicago.
What Does It Cost?
- Classes at NEIU typically cost approximately $1308 per class if you aren’t a part of a CS4All cohort, and $981 per class if you are.
- Classes taught by ISU cost approximately $1210.77 per class. Up through summer 2019 the coursework was supported by a grant.
- For every course in which you get a "C" or better, CPS offers an $800 reimbursement, but you do still pay up front.
What Are The Program Requirements?
The program is 24 credit hours (a class is typically 3 credits, 8 classes), and usually takes two years.
You’d take four classes per year:
- One class in the fall semester,
- One class in the spring semester
- Two classes over the summer
College-level algebra skills are strongly recommended.
Declare Your Interest
You have the option to enroll in a cohort in either a Fall or a Spring semester. If you’re interested in learning more about becoming a part of a CPS cohort, please fill out our totally non-binding form so we know who is interested in learning more about the TECS program!
Submit your interest by August 15, 2018 if you are interested in starting classes in the fall term at NEIU (classes start the week of August 25).