1. Aspen Portal Mandatory Sign-up for Parents: Please use the following link to complete the form so that you will have access to the new CPS Parent Portal, coming later this year: https://goo.gl/forms/AA2j1JfvQZpCYppR2
2. Please return the following forms: Student Medical form(found in booklet), CPS Family Income Worksheet (you may write N/A, but we need one returned for every family), Media Consent Release with a yes or no, and the $78.00 5th Grade Student fee (please request a waiver form if you think you may qualify).
- Students are responsible for the completion of all homework and class work assignments.
- Students will be given an assignment notebook, and will be expected to record all assignments needing to be finished at home.
- Every assignment should be completed neatly and to the best of the student's ability.
- Absent work will be accepted for full credit upon the student's return.
- 5th Grade Late Work Policy-Students may turn in work after the due date with the following deductions:
1 day past due= 10%
2 days past due= 20%
3 days past due=30%
- Parents are strongly encouraged to regularly check the Parent Portal.
- Students are expected to follow all classroom and school wide rules at all times.
- School begins promptly at 8:45a.m.; students should be in the gymnasium by that time. School ends at 3:45p.m.; students will be dismissed promptly and are expected to leave the building unless enrolled in an after school program. Being on time is a priority!
- Students should be prepared every day with their required materials (i.e. books, assignments, supplies, etc.)
- Students should eat lunch everyday, either by getting a free school lunch, or bringing one of their own from home. Asking others for their food is discouraged.
- Students will be expected to keep their desks and lockers clean, organized, and free of clutter.
ELA and SS Grading
English Language Arts
Scholastic Book Orders: to order books for your child online, please visit Scholastic Book Clubs and use our classroom code- LHVC2. Your order will arrive at Skinner, in my care, and I will distribute to students.
How to Find a Book's Lexile Level: your child will be expected to read books at(or above) their Lexile Range. Students were given their range, and should search the Lexile level of any possible book he/she is considering for their book log. To find the Lexile level of a book please visit https://fab.lexile.com. The average 5th grader's Lexile range is 830-1010, but your child's may be higher or lower.
Current Event Talk: Every student will lead the class by presenting a current event. Rubrics have been given to the students. Suggestions for sources of news are: newsforkids.net, yahoo.com/news, goodnewsnetwork.org, chicagotribune.com, huffingtonpost.com, or any reliable news outlet.