Elkhorn-Santa Ines Cultural Exchange
Hola a tod@s!
Welcome to the official site for the Elkhorn winter exchange. This page contains all the relevant information related to the exchange such as itineraries, activities, and host family / exchange student contact info. Questions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or Whatsapp / Imessage +506 8478 2100.
Families will have the opportunity to welcome exchange students into their homes for two weeks. Students are all high school aged between the ages of 14 and 18. There are 18 students and 2 teachers visiting. During the week students have group activities planned and then nights and weekends they spend with their hosts learning and experiencing winter in Wisconsin.
Update November 15th: We are still looking for 4-5 families yet to host male students. Once we have enough families we'll share the matching information.
Dates: January 17th-30th
- The group arrives to Chicago on the 17th in the evening and will come right to the high school around 10pm.
- Group will travel by charter bus to and from airport.
- This will be the official exchange Whatsapp group: COMING SOON
- To join, download Whatsapp on your phone (https://www.wikihow.com/Install-WhatsApp), open this site on your phone and click the link from the previous point. If that doesn't work, email your phone number to Dustin email@example.com and he can manually add your number to the group.
- We'll use this to communicate drop off and pick up times, changes to the itinerary, reminders about activities and will be the recommended way to initiate communication with your exchange student.
For the exchange students this is their big opportunity to immerse themselves! They have the Fri-dom to totally change their personality in their second culture / language. They are told not to be afraid to step out of their comfort zone and/or embarrass themselves. The exchange is too short and we want them to experience as many memorable moments as possible. Everyone is going to experience the exchange in their own way and there is no telling what impact it may have on them so please take advantage of every moment.
As a host family you are the prime facilitators of this experience and stand to benefit just as much from the experience. Previous families have commented that hosting "forces" them to do things together and participate in activities that they might not normally do. Hosting is also gateway that could inspire you to host others, exchange back to Costa Rica or to other parts of the world. The experience doesn't end January 30th, but rather will continue in the digital age where communication is only a short Snap, Instagram, or Whatsapp away. We look forward to your participation.