Becoming a Member
Young climbers between the age of 7 and 18 wishing to join the club must demonstrate the necessary level of interest and commitment to being an active member of the club.
Kids wishing to join the club must have previous climbing experience. You must have your own harness, shoes and chalk bag. These can be purchased online. 53 Degrees North in Cork City have a small selection of climbing gear but a better option might be Great Outdoors online shop or if you are in Dublin city you can visit their shop.
How to Join
Parents and climbers should contact a commitee member to arrange a meeting/assessment. Child & parent would attend an assessment session with the head coach. If the child passes the assessment then membership forms need to be completed. If a place does not exist then child will go on a waiting list.
Once membership forms are submitted, the new member can climb on club nights. However, the parent/ guardian cannot belay in a volunteer capacity until the MI Volunteer vetting process is complete. Additionally, Mountaineering Ireland now specify that volunteers must have Safeguarding 1 certification. Cork Sports Partnership hold these courses approx 3 hours. Details are here.
Please note, our club cannot cater for beginners, climbers seeking to join must have previous climbing experience. Completion of a a beginner course at an indoor wall (NICAS level two award at a minimum would be preferable).
Climbing Wall Fees
Awesome Walls charge an entry fee to use the facility. The CYCC rate is €6 per child member. This applies during club training times from 6pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
CYCC Annual Membership Fee
The annual CYCC membership fee is €30. CYCC uses this money mainly towards the purchase of climbing equipment (ropes, karabiners, slings, quickdraws etc), the training of coaches and the engagement of top coaches to give training sessions. Club funds will be used to support away-trips. CYCC Membership also entitles the young climbers to the €6 rate above on club nights.
MI Membership Fees
Mountaineering Ireland's club year is from 01 November to 31 October. The fees for 2018/19 are as follows:
MI: First adult per family: €26.27
MI: Additional Adults per family 23 & over: €22.27
MI: Youth (Under 23) additional family members: €7.60 each
The club membership fee is comprised of the Affiliation fee, Insurance fee and the Irish Mountain Log postage fee.*
MI Membership Benefits
As a member of Mountaineering Ireland you benefit from a range of benefits, including:-
- The Irish Mountain Log, delivered by post to your home address;
- Discounts in all good outdoor shops and a variety of other related retailers;
- Civil Liability and Limited Personal Accident cover insurance policy;
- A personalised membership card;
- A committed staff team to provide advice and information;
- Access to training schemes and awards for hillwalkers and climbers;
- Access to Mountaineering Ireland Training Grant schemes;
- A channel for your access, environmental and other concerns;
- Annual Summer Alpine and Winter Meets, which include training courses and workshops for all;
- Spring and Autumn Gatherings that include member forums;
- Access to the vast Mountaineering Library Collection;
- Expedition grants and advice;
- Skills and environmental workshops;
- Annual indoor climbing competitions;
- Eligibility for UIAA Reciprocal Rights stamps to Alpine Huts;
- Access to Travel & Activity insurance for walking and climbing trips abroad;
- and more!
CYCC has a coaching program in place on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Coaching is not mandatory, but has proven to be very successful for the club. Typical costs are €7.50 per child per session. Please contact the CYCC Training & Events Officer for more details upon joining.