Year 8 Food
Welcome to our page devoted to Year 8 Food. The course has been designed as the ideal preparation for studying Food at GCSE or VCERT but also providing those key-life skills which many of our students require and enjoy learning. Please find links to recipes and an outline of the learning. If you have any questions then please do not hesitate to contact one of the team.
Practicals covered include:
- Pizza (bread-making)
- Chili-con-carne or Spaghetti Bolognese Sauce (chopping, frying, simmering)
- Homemade Chicken Nuggets (enrobing)
- Chocolate Brownie (Cake: melting method)
- Chilled Lemon Flan (whisking, food processor)
- Paella/Jambalaya (cooking with rice)
- Victoria Sandwich Cake (Cake: creaming method)
- Free choice: Teenager Balanced Dish
- Cottage Pie (Extension)
The above practicals are a rough guide and the order and number of practicals can vary from module to module.
The key topics covered within this course:
- Cross-contamination & Food Safety
- Food Poisoning
- Factors Affecting Food Choice
- Research into Different Cultures and Foods
- Diet, Health and Nutrition including the following nutrients: Protein, Vitamin A, B-group, Carbohydrates, Fats, Calcium, Iron, Vitamin D.
- Planning Balanced Meals for Teenagers (Assessment)
- Research into dietary restrictions associated with different religions including; Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Rastafarianism, and Sikhism