The California Teacher Residency Lab connects and strengthens partners who are preparing effective teachers through high-quality clinical experiences. Lab participants access a system of technical assistance supports as they learn together. The Lab is designed to help partners accelerate the progress of their respective programs while collectively advancing a vision for high-quality residencies that incorporate research-based characteristics.
There is an unprecedented opportunity in the State of California right now to ensure teachers are student-ready on their first day in the classroom by helping local education agencies (LEAs) develop and scale teacher residencies in partnership with accredited preparation programs. With the infusion of $75 million from the state to launch and expand Special Education, STEM, and Bilingual teacher residencies, and growing interest from LEAs and institutes of higher education, the California Teacher Residency Lab is an intentional, strategic approach to delivering ongoing technical assistance and resources that will result in effective teacher residencies. Through residencies, teachers will have the knowledge, skills, and disposition they need to make an immediate impact in the classroom—a difference every student in the state will benefit from.
In total, 20 teacher residency partnerships from across California have committed to the diligent, long-term work needed to make progress on priority, high-quality residency characteristics. Each partnership is anchored by a dedicated team that will participate in learning community convenings (some virtual, some in person) throughout the year.
Inaugural California Teacher Residency Lab partnerships, 2019-2020
• AchieveKids with Pacific Oaks College, Institute for the Redesign of Learning, and Creekside, Spectrum Schools
• Bakersfield City School District with CSU, Bakersfield
• Clovis Unified School District with Fresno State
• Fresno Unified School District with Fresno State
• Greenfield Union School District with CSU, Bakersfield
• Humboldt County Office of Education with Humboldt State
• Kern High School District with CSU, Bakersfield
• Los Angeles Unified School District with CSU LA, CSU Northridge, CSU Dominguez Hills, and UCLA
• Madera Unified School District with CSU, Fresno
• Monterey County Office of Education with CSU Monterey Bay
• Napa Valley Unified School District with Sonoma State, Trellis, and Santa Rosa City Schools
• Oak Grove School District with San Jose State University
• Oakland Unified School District with CSU East Bay, UC Berkeley, and Trellis
• Partnerships to Uplift Communities with Loyola Marymount University
• Pasadena Unified School District with CSU LA
• San Francisco Unified School District with University of SF and Stanford University
• San Francisco Unified School District with SF State and Trellis
• San Joaquin County Office of Education with Teachers College of San Joaquin
• Tracy Joint Unified School District with Notre Dame de Namur
• West Contra Costa Unified School District with CSU East Bay