ETHICS // SCIENCE // ART // CULTURE // HUMANITIES // TECHNOLOGY // INNOVATION
Author of The Case for Perfection, Ethics in the Age of Human Enhancement, Dr Johann A. R. Roduit, PhD is the current Managing Director of the Center for Medical Humanities at the University of Zurich, and a Senior Researcher at the Collegium Helveticum (at ETH Zurich, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich). He is a founding member and current Chairman of NeoHumanitas, a think tank fostering discussion about future and emerging technologies. In 2014, he defended a doctoral thesis on the ethics of human enhancement. He has worked at the Institute for Biomedical Ethics and History of Medicine at the University of Zurich since 2010. He is currently a board member of the Swiss Society for Bioethics, and was previously a board member of the Academic Society of Valais.
In 2013 and 2014, Johann was a DPhil Recognised Student at the Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics, at the University of Oxford, thanks to a research fellowship from the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF). In 2015 and 2016, he was a visiting researcher at the University of Calgary, thanks to an International Short Visit fellowship from the SNSF. Johann has recently been selected as a Brocher Foundation visiting researcher for the spring of 2018. He will spend two months (March & April) working on his next book at the Brocher Centre in Geneva.
His research interests include human enhancement, moral enhancement, bioethics, transhumanism, virtue ethics, human dignity, the ethics of Big Data, the ethics of artificial intelligence, philosophical anthropology, and film & medicine. In 2017, he received a DIPEx certificate by the Nuffield department of Primary Care Health Sciences of the University of Oxford, after being trained to conduct qualitative research into people’s personal experiences of health and illness. A regular columnist in different newspapers, he has presented his work in various regional, national, and international conferences, as well as in different media. His research has also been published in different scientific journals.
- Moral Enhancements & Moral Machines.
- Eloge de la Fragilité à l'ère de l'Homme augmenté. Link
- Science Fiction and the Ethics of Human Enhancement. Link
- Superhumains.ch: the Next Generations. Link
- Future-Human.Life. Link
- Enhancement and Human Perfection. Link
- Enhancing short children? An ethical investigation of treating ‘short but healthy’ children with growth hormones. Link
Finally, he has been involved in various science communication initiatives. Since 2014, he has been the scientific coordinator for the project: superhumains.ch. The goal of this project is to educate, inform and dialogue with high school students about bioethical issues regarding the use of emerging technologies. He has co-founded neurhone: connecteur d’idées, a non-profit organization that organizes TEDxMartigny, the Carnotzets Scientifiques, and the FuckUp Nights in Valais, Switzerland. In 2015, neurhone received an Award from the State of Valais for the organization of TEDxMartigny, as part of the celebration of the bicentenary of the entrance of Valais in the Swiss Confederation. Alongside these initiatives, Johann has taken part in different science communication workshops offered by the SNSF and the University of Zurich (Science Communication Writing Workshop, How to communicate science to the public, and Media Training for researchers). In 2014, he received the Best science blog award by the Agence Science-Presse in Canada. He is currently co-organising TEDxAbbotsford.
Johann Roduit is a Founding Partner of conexkt ltd.
- Conseil de la formation et de la recherche universitaires (CoFRU), Canton du Valais, Member (since 2018)
- Science Valais, Sion, Scientific Delegate (since 2017)
- Brocher Foundation, Geneva, Scientific Committee (since 2017)
- TEDxAbbotsford, Abbotsford, Canada, Founding Member (since 2016)
- Swiss Society of Bioethics, Lausanne, Executive board member (since 2016)
- WHO Collaborating Centers in Bioethics, Geneva, Representing member of the Institute of Biomedical Ethics (since 2016)
- Alumni Geneva Center for Security and Peace, Geneva, Member (since 2015)
- Club des quatre saisons, Zurich, Member (since 2015)
- Alumni Zurich University, Zurich, Member (since 2015)
- Alumni Oxford University, Oxford, Member (since 2014)
- Academic Society of Valais, Sion, Executive board member (2013-2014)
- The Oxford and Cambridge Club of Zurich, Zurich, Member (since 2013)
- Canadian Bioethics Society, Montreal, Member (since 2013)
- Foraus, Foreign Policy Forum, Zurich, Member of the Science diplomacy discussion group (2013-2014)
- NeoHumanitas, Geneva, co-founder and president (since 2012)
- TEDxMartigny, co-founder and president (since 2011)
- Neurhone: connecteur d’idées, Gletsch, co-founder and president (since 2011)
- Swiss Society of Bioethics, Lausanne, Member (since 2010)
- Neuroethics Society, Bethesda, Member (2010-2012)