Newsletter 77 - 25 October 2017
CHILTERN COUNTRYSIDE GROUP NEWS - ESSENTIAL READING FOR ALL WHO CARE ABOUT PRESERVING GREEN BELT ESPECIALLY RESIDENTS IN DACORUM
As we see the glorious colours of our beloved Chilterns AONB and its beech woods, we're powerfully reminded of the importance of our campaigns to protect and preserve this amazing landscape with its precious peace and tranquility for the thousands of us who enjoy it now and importantly, for future generations.
PROPOSED LOCAL PLAN ATTACKS DESIGNATED GREEN BELT AND CHILTERNS AREA OF OUTSTANDING NATURAL BEAUTY IN DACORUM
- Despite having agreed possible site locations for future housing development as recently as July 2017, Dacorum Borough Council has now agreed to present a different Local Plan for public consultation THIS AUTUMN. The new Local Plan contains 3 Options with sub-divisions.
- ALL OPTIONS IN THIS NEW LOCAL PLAN WILL MEAN RELEASE OF CURRENTLY DESIGNATED GREEN BELT AROUND THE 3 MAIN TOWNS OF BERKHAMSTED, TRING AND HEMEL HEMPSTEAD.
- One option promotes construction of c14,360 houses on Green Belt; others 6,850 at Hemel Hempstead, 2,250 at Berkhamsted and 2,667 at Tring.
- This is wanton destruction of a key resource of our area - the landscape which defines and surrounds the market towns and villages and which supports the character and unique qualities of the AONB. Once gone, its natural green and peaceful beauty can NEVER be replaced, however much mitigation developers might offer.
- A PUBLIC CONSULTATION ON THE DACORUM LOCAL PLAN WILL RUN FROM 1 NOVEMBER 2017 TO 13 DECEMBER 2017. Key documents can be accessed:
- Local Plan Review PDF 152 KB
- Go to page 119 for brief description of sites.
- Additional documents:
- Cabinet-17-10-2017-Local Plan-Annex 1-Issues and Options consultation document , item 7. PDF 12 MB
- Cabinet-17-10-2017-Local Plan-Annex 2-Draft Schedule of Site Appraisals , item 7. PDF 4 MB
- Cabinet-17-10-2017-Local Plan-Annex 3-Sustainability Appraisal Working Note – Issues and Options document , item 7. PDF 1 MB
- Cabinet-17-10-2017-Local Plan-Annex 4-Sustainability Appraisal Working Note – Schedule of Site Appraisals , item 7. PDF 990 KB
- EXTRAORDINARY COUNCIL MEETING FOR TRING RESIDENTS 7.30PM on MONDAY 30 OCTOBER 2017 at VICTORIA HALL
ALL TRING RESIDENTS ARE STRONGLY URGED TO ATTEND. These plans could change the entire character of Tring especially for Green Belt on the Eastern side of the town. This will be YOUR opportunity to engage with YOUR elected representatives on Dacorum Borough Council - make sure you use it!
- To add your support to the campaigns to oppose these proposals, or to find out more, contact these local residents' Action Groups - they will be delighted to hear from you.
- For Berkhamsted: Berkhamsted Residents Action Group (BRAG) http://www.nosouthberkhamstedconcept.com/about-brag/
- For Tring: Grove Fields Residents Association (GFRA) www.grovefieldsresidents.com
- STOP HS2 PETITION: NOW! is the time to sign the STOP HS2 petition asking the Government to cancel HS2. The petition runs until mid March 2018 and STOP HS2 aim to get those all important 100,000 signatures. Make sure yours is one of them!
- Access the petition here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/200793 and please share widely with family and friends.
- News from the TaxPayers' Alliance: The TaxPayers' Alliance has appointed Harry Fone as Grassroots Campaign Manager to organise campaigns which ensure taxpayer money is spent responsibly. He is keen to demonstrate that 'HS2 is a costly & unnecessary project which will provide no economic benefit to the UK'. Harry will be visiting anti-HS2 groups over the next few weeks & is looking for volunteers to distribute leaflets calling for HS2 to be scrapped and to organise action days in their local area. Please contact Harry directly if you wish to get involved on 020 7998 1450 or email: email@example.com
- HS2 Community Engagement Strategy: Published by HS2 Ltd. to outline strategies for engagement with communities which live and work alongside the new line. The strategy includes 10 commitments that will be used as the basis to measure its success. The strategy will help support thinking, actions and decision making of both HS2 Ltd and its supply chain. Read the full document here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hs2-ltds-community-engagement-strategy
- HS2 Ltd's CEO responds to Construction Commissioner's Reports: High Speed Two (HS2) Ltd CEO, Mark Thurston, responds to the first and second Construction Commissioner’s reports published in July 2017. Read the response here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hs2-ltd-response-to-construction-commissioners-report-1-and-2
- Government publishes HS2 Local Management Plans: These plans set out the site-specific control measures for HS2 contractors working within local authorities along the Phase One route. Read them here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/local-environmental-management-plans-for-hs2-phase-one
- New HS2 Ltd Inquiries Freephone number: 08081 434 434
- Help from the Chiltern Society: The Chiltern Society is dedicating time and resources to helping people in Chilterns communities with monitoring HS2 Ltd's contractors' work, dealing with questions and difficulties caused by this and co-ordination of these with other parties where appropriate. You can contact them at: www.HS2Watch.org.uk
AVIATION NOISE IMPACTING THE CHILTERNS and HOW YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- As we are all too aware at times, the Chilterns are impacted by aircraft operating at Heathrow, London Luton and Northolt. The Civil Aviation Authority which carries responsibility for airspace changes and noise management is inviting responses to its current Consultation.
- The Consultation seeks responses on which areas people who are affected by aviation noise would like the CAA to focus on and how they can use existing & possible future powers to reduce noise impact.
- The Consultation documents can be accessed here:https://consultations.caa.co.uk/policy-development/aviation-noise-impacts/ Closing date 5 January 2018.
As always, we're here to help if possible and we're always pleased to hear from our supporters.
REMEMBER TOGETHER WE GIVE POWER TO THE MESSAGE.
Best wishes to you all.
on behalf of the Chiltern Countryside Group
NOTE: New telephone number: 01 442 905 992