Newsletter 62 - 23 December 2014
NEWS AND CHRISTMAS GREETINGS FROM CHILTERN COUNTRYSIDE GROUP
A brief resume of some of the events of the autumn which was a busy time behind the scenes for all campaigners. For fuller information please visit the websites of STOPHS2 stophs2.org, HS2AA www.hs2actionalliance.org and 51M www.51m.co.uk - and for news as it breaks, the live news feed on the CCG website http://chilterncountrysidegroup.org.
HIGH SPEED 2
- The Parliamentary Select Committee are hearing petitioners against the HS2 Hybrid Bill. Past proceedings can be viewed on the Parliamentary website http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/high-speed-rail-london-west-midlands-bill-select-committee-commons/ Committee members are also making site visits. We understand it is unlikely that CCG will be called to give evidence until at least the Spring of 2015.
- In preparation for this, the CCG HS2 Working Party team have been attending seminars and workshops facilitated by Bucks County Council and others. These have proved extremely useful. Information from the BCC sessions is posted on its website http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/environment/hs2/news/
LONDON LUTON AIRPORT
- The CCG, together with the Chilterns Conservation Board, had a useful meeting with the management of LLA, which gave all parties the opportunity to discuss some of the challenges which the airport's activities bring to the Chilterns and in particular, our AONB. This is, of course, particularly pertinent, as the airport now has permission to expand passenger numbers by almost double those presently using LLA. The decision by Government on the UK's aviation needs and how to meet these is still outstanding, awaiting the outcome of the Davies Review and indeed, the 2015 General Election.
- We will be meeting with LLA again in the Spring so do let us know if there are particular issues which you would like us to raise on your behalf.
THE CHILTERNS CONSERVATION BOARD
- In November, the CCG attended the CCB's Annual Forum which was an excellent event with encouraging news of all the varying activities of the Board, notwithstanding the demands which the HS2 project has placed upon the energies and time of its staff.
- Many of you may have heard that Steve Rodrick, CCB's Chief Officer, will retire in a few days' time for a well-deserved change of pace and demands. It gave CCG's Chairman great pleasure to thank Steve publicly at the Forum for his enormous contribution unstintingly given to protect the Chilterns AONB and to us, as a campaigning organisation with the same mission. Right from CCG's inception in 2008, Steve has been supportive, encouraging and a fount of wise and professional advice. We shall miss him greatly but wish him the most happy and rewarding future in whatever way he chooses to spend it. Kath Daly will be Acting Chief Officer and we look forward to an equally positive working relationship with Kath.
AND A VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL WITH OUR THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT THROUGHOUT 2014.
WE SEND OUR GOOD WISHES FOR A REWARDING, SUCCESSFUL AND PRODUCTIVE 2015.
LET'S KEEP OUR MISSION STATEMENT ALIVE WITH HOPE IN OUR HEARTS AND DETERMINATION IN OUR MINDS.
TOGETHER WE GIVE POWER TO THE MESSAGE!
With kind regards to you all,
Steering Group/HS2 Working Party
Chiltern Countryside Group