The Chester Community Coalition was founded by a group of volunteers from Heeding God's Call to End Gun Violence. In the course of their efforts, they were touched by the burden of grief families were carrying over the death or injury of their loved ones, with little access to support for healing.
They became aware of a grant from Catholic Health Initiatives focused on violence prevention. They applied for, and received, funding from their Violence Prevention Program to provide trauma-informed counseling to families to support people directly exposed to violence and reduce reinjury and death due to that exposure.
Additional funding from Congregation Ohev Shalom, The Foundation for Delaware County, and Delaware County individuals and congregations allow us to provide counseling services to adults and youth from 8-18 years old, as well as art therapy for children 4-7 years.
To heal the psychological and emotional impact of homicides and reduce trauma-related reactive violence in the City of Chester, PA
Provide compassionate counseling services and related activities to children and adults within Chester City who have been negatively impacted by violence to promote healing, peace and safety within their families, surrounding community, and the entire City of Chester.
- Provide counseling services and related programming
- Outreach to bereaved families
- Develop and present materials on violence as a public health issue and on the Spectrum of Prevention
- Develop and nurture relationships with entities within the City of Chester to support community efforts
- Implement all aspects of the program in partnership with the Chester community and its representatives