Holidays Around the World
Use the links below to answer questions about winter holidays celebrated all over the world.
- Diwali is the Hindu Festival of Lights which celebrates the new year. It is India’s most important holiday.
What does Diwali mean? __________________________________________________________________________________________
2. Name 2 countries that celebrate Boxing Day ____________________________ ________________________
When is it celebrated? __________________________________
3. In Romania, what is a “steaua”? _____________________________________________________
What does it look like?___________________________________________________________
4. In Italy there is a special holiday on January 6th called La Befana. Who is La Befana ? ____________________________________________________________________________
Internet Resource: http://www.zuzu.org/italy.html
5. In Sweden, Christmas celebrations begin on St. Lucia's Day. What is the date of this special day?
Internet Resource: Christmas in Sweden
6. When do people in Ghana celebrate Christmas? __________________________________________
7. During Hanukkah, Jewish families light 8 candles for each night of the holiday. What is the 9th candle called ?_____________________________________________________________
8. How many days does Las Posadas last in Mexico? _____________________________________
9. Chinese New Year is celebrated on a different day every year. Each year also has an animal associated with it. What day is the Chinese New Year in 2017 and what animal will be associated with it? ___________________________ ___________________________________