Week of September 2, 2019
We are Hooked on Learning , Growing, and the RITE stuff.
HURRICANE DORIAN CLOSURE
Schools will be closed beginning September 3, 2019. Please monitor the CCSD website, CCSD Facebook, and your local news stations for more information.
9/2- Labor Day (schools and offices closed)
9/3- Kaleidoscope Enrichment Registration Begins
9/12- Kinder-4th Grade Open House 5:15 PM
5th-8th Grade Open House at 6:15 PM
9/20- Early Release at 1 PM/ Teacher Workday
Approved Make-Up Days- November 25, November 26, and April 13
We apologize for the delay in schoolwide communication. We are still in the process of transferring to a new communications system for mass emails, call-outs, and the school website. Your patience is greatly appreciated as we work to update the system.
Adventure awaits as we begin another successful school year at Buist Academy. This year our Knights are "HOOKED" on learning, growing, and the RITE stuff! We look forward to your support along this educational journey!
Principal Shawntay White
“Pirates are daring, adventurous, and willing to set forth into uncharted territories with no guarantee of success. They reject the status quo and refuse to conform to any society that stifles creativity and independence. They are entrepreneurs who take risks and are willing to travel to the ends of the earth for that which they value.” ~ Dave Burgess
Car Rider Procedures
Please respect fellow Buist families by following the correct car rider procedures.
- East Bay St. to George St.
- George St. to Anson St.
- Do Not Block the Intersection
- Review the Map Below
This route helps to ensure the safety of our school community. It also helps to show respect for our neighbors by not blocking driveways on George St. or the intersection.
Parent volunteers are always welcome to help!
Dear Buist Academy Families,
On behalf of the Buist Academy Foundation Board, I would like to welcome you to the new school year. I hope you had a wonderful summer and will join us with your time, treasure and talent to be a part of our efforts to achieve excellence for our children this year!
The Buist Academy Foundation’s mission is to advance and strengthen the educational experience for students and the greater Buist community. It’s a volunteer-driven, non-profit 501(c)(3) created to serve and support the children, educators, and families of Buist Academy.
Please Buist Foundation Welcome Message for more Foundation updates.
Buist Academy Foundation Chair
In an effort to better protect all our students, staff, and visitors during after school hours CCSD Security and Risk Management requires that all visitors sign in via Raptor at the Anson St door. Please plan accordingly to sign in and receive a visitor's badge upon arrival. This is for non-employee visitors who wish to gain access to the building while children are present We appreciate your cooperation in keeping our students safe!
A note from the CCPL Main Branch Staff
For the comfort and safety of your children, please review the policy for children visiting any Charleston County Public Library as well as the hours of operation (please note closing times on Friday, Saturday, Sunday).
The safety and well-being of children left unattended in a public building is of serious concern. Children left alone may become frightened, anxious, or bored. Older children cannot be expected to care for a younger child who is frightened, tired or ill. Library staff have many public duties and cannot serve as caregivers.
We ask your cooperation in the following areas as we strive to make the library a welcoming and accessible place for your child.
- Children five years old and younger must always be accompanied by a parent or responsible caregiver 16 years old or older.
- Children six to eight years old must have a parent or responsible caregiver 16 years old or older in the building at all times.
- Children nine years old and older are responsible for their own behavior in the library and must follow library rules and regulations. Any child nine or older who is left unattended must have a means of contacting his/her parent or guardian.
- The library staff will attempt to contact parents of children whose safety is in doubt. If parents are unavailable, the library staff and/or the security guard will contact the police department to provide custody.
- If any child under 18 has not been picked up at closing, the Library will contact the police to provide custody.
Main Library Hours:
Monday - Thursday: 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Friday - Saturday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Sunday: 2 - 5 p.m.
Important Attendance Information
It is extremely important for students to attend school on a regular basis. As a South Carolina public school, Buist Academy is required to follow SC laws and CCSD Board policies regarding attendance. We are happy to work with all families. However, we must maintain compliance with the South Carolina Department of Education.
We are required to take period attendance this year. That means your child's attendance will be taken for each class.
Attendance information can be found in the CCSD Code of Conduct and the Buist Academy Handbook.
- All absences require a written explanation from the parent/guardian within three (3) school days of return from the absence.
- A written explanation of absences must include the student’s name, parent/guardian’s full name, parent/guardian’s signature, date(s) of absence(s), and documentation of the reason for absence(s).
- Text messages and emails are not acceptable documentation for student absences.
- Truant: A child, at least 6 but not yet 17 years old, who has accumulated three consecutive unlawful absences or a total of five unlawful absences.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact the front office.