The mission of the Cuyahoga Falls Middle School counselors is to assist students with their academic, career, personal, and social development needs.
WHY MIDDLE SCHOOL COUNSELORS?
Today’s young people are living in an exciting time, with an increasingly diverse society, new technologies, and expanding opportunities. To help ensure that they are prepared to become the next generation of parents, workers, leaders and citizens, every student needs support, guidance and opportunities during adolescence, a time of rapid growth and change. Early adolescents face unique and diverse challenges, both personally and developmentally, that have an impact on academic achievement.
Middle school students are characterized by rapid physical growth, curiosity about their world and an emerging self-identity. Through a comprehensive and developmentally appropriate school-counseling program, counselors work as a team member with school staff, parents, other school counselors, and the community to create a caring, supportive climate and atmosphere whereby young adolescents can achieve academic success.
WHAT DO MIDDLE SCHOOL COUNSELORS DO?
School Guidance Curriculum
- Academic skills support
- Organizational, study and test-taking skills
- Education in understanding self and others
- Coping strategies
- Peer relationships and effective social skills
- Communication, problem-solving, decision-making and conflict resolution
- Career awareness, exploration and planning
- Substance abuse education
- Multicultural/diversity awareness
Individual Student Planning
- Goal-setting/decision- making
- Academic planning
- Career planning
- Education in understanding of self, including strengths and weaknesses
- Transition planning
- Individual and small group counseling
- Individual/family/school crisis intervention
- Peer facilitation
- Professional development
- Consultation, collaboration and teaming
- Program management and operation