Academic Honors & College Preparation
There are many opportunities for students in the honors program. In addition to the many Honors and AP level courses that are offered, students can add diploma endorsements or complete a Scholars program diploma track. Students have opportunities to take community college classes, both online and as part of a CVCC cohort. Students can apply to attend the Lenoir-Rhyne Scholars program during their senior year. Students with high academic achievement can be asked to join the National Beta Club or departmental honor societies. Students can also be recognized as Junior Marshals and can graduate with Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude or Summa Cum Laude designations.
Scholars Academy at Lenoir Rhyne University
- High achieving high school seniors meeting eligibility requirements complete the fourth year of high school on the campus of Lenoir Rhyne University earning high school and college credits.
- The approximate cost per semester is $1,300.00.
- You can find more information on the Lenoir-Rhyne website. Click on the link for "high school students".
AP Courses at SSHS
- Environmental Science
- Computer Science A
- Computer Science Principles
- Studio Art: 2-D Design, 3-D Design or Drawing
- World History
- U.S. History
- Human Geography
- U.S. Government & Politics
- English Language & Composition
- Other AP courses are available through Online Catawba & NC Virtual Public HS
- CFNC (College Foundation of North Carolina)
- College Entrance Test information
- ACT-- All NC 11th graders are required to take the SAT in March. There is no cost for this administration.
- The PLAN (pre-ACT) is given to all 10th graders during the regular school day.
- The PSAT is offered on campus on a Saturday. Students have to see the testing coordinators or a guidance counselor to get information about registering for the PSAT.