District Audition Registration Form | $11.00
District auditions are held the first Saturday in December. Although we will prepare the material in class, students are encouraged to take private lessons to help prepare for this event.
All-state Audition Registration Form | $26.00
All-state includes the same requirements as district plus 2 prepared solos. Students who register for all-state are competing against top students from across Georgia. It would be unusual for someone to make the Allstate band without taking private lessons. See me for private tutor suggestions.
|Percussion Requirements |
District level, first round audition requirements:
Students must perform on all three instruments for the district and state level auditions. There is one sight reading exercise for each instrument.
- Snare Drum: Rudiments are played in an open-close-open style. (slow-fast-slow) Long Roll, (Double stroke) Flam Accent, Drag, and student’s choice. (Choose from one of the 40 PAS rudiments.)
- Keyboard Percussion: Chromatic scale, F, Bb, Eb, and Ab major. 2 octaves each, memorized, tempo at 120 bpm.
- Timpani: The audition is performed on two drums. Students will tune the timpani to the same pitches as the sight-reading exercise. Students may use an acoustic tone producer for tuning. (pitch pipe, mallet instrument, etc.)
- Tune Timpani to sight-reading pitches. You have 30 seconds per drum.
- Single Stroke Roll, played on either drum, slow to fast to slow (not soft-loud-soft)
- Forte-Piano Roll with crescendo (either drum) (One hit, start soft roll, then crescendo)
- Sight-read (Students have 30 seconds to study the music before performing.)
Percussionists auditioning for all-state band do not play their required solos at the first audition in December. (All other instruments do)
To be recommended for the State level final audition in January, percussionists are required to score 85 or higher in two areas, and 70 or higher in another. (Snare, Timpani, Mallets) Students must perform on all three instruments for the district and state level auditions. There is one sight reading exercise and one all-state solo for each instrument. The solos are normally released by GMEA mid-August.
All-state band judges score sheets