*AMIA 2020 Cancelled due to COVID-19 .
Check with us in Fall 2020 for 2021 Dates!*
About the Program
Applied Math in Action! is a one-week program for high school and pre-college students to discover how math can be applied to many different fields and to inspire and inform them about STEM fields of study and careers.
For 2020, students will learn about a variety of applied math fields :
- Cryptology - From ancient methods to modern cryptography, which is important in the hot fields of cyber-security and hacking.
- Math Modelling - How do you represent real-life situations in mathematics?
- Game Theory - Surprisingly applicable to daily life, this is a look at decision-making
- Number Theory - Essential to modern computer security
- Graph Theory - Securing a building, creating a social network, graph theory is a modern applied math field
Also, there will be trips to important DC landmarks such as the monuments and the National Mall, and trips and activities revolving around math as well: National Security Agency (NSA) National Cryptologic Museum, NASA Goddard, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), code breaking contests and scavenger hunts around campus.
Students will experience college life by living on Catholic University’s beautiful DC campus and will have an option of attending daily mass in the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception right, which is right on campus, should they wish to do so. The program assumes basic high school math.
Schedule: See the 2019 schedule below. 2020 will be similar -- it will be a fun, action-packed week!
2020 Fees are a $50 application fee and $1100 registration fee. This includes instruction, room and board from Sunday through Friday, bus transportation for field trips, and event/museum entrance fees. Payment is made directly to the University via Paypal (no Paypal account required) or check.