We appreciate your interest in substitute teaching with Canyon ISD. If you are disabled, please advise the district of any need for a reasonable accommodation. If you need assistance completing the application, you may call the CISD Human Resources Department at 806-677-2600 or visit the District Support Center and ask for assistance.
- Please fill out the substitute application online and submit it electronically. The information on the application should be filled out accurately and completely. Fields with a red * next to it require an answer. The online application will not let you move forward until you enter an answer. All references will need to include the full name, title, address, telephone number and email address. Also, Texas Education Code 22.083 authorizes a school district to obtain a criminal history of every applicant. This area of the application must be completed prior to submitting an application.
- A high school diploma or GED is the minimum to be eligible to substitute teach. A copy of your high school diploma/transcript, GED or college transcripts will be required upon submission of your application. You may attach copies of these documents to the application, email your documents to HR@canyonisd.net, or mail them to CISD Human Resources Office, 3301 N. 23rd Street, Canyon, TX 79015.
- Substitute training is required before you are eligible to substitute in the district. Substitutes will receive training on classroom discipline, classroom procedures, student health emergencies, ethics, dress code, freedom from harassment, lesson plans and the automated substitute calling system, AESOP. Additional training is also available for those individuals interested in substituting in the nurse’s office, classroom management, and smart board.
- After the application has been processed a Human Resource representative will contact the applicant by email for the next available substitute training.
- You must bring the following items with you to the training:
- Transcripts (unless you have attached it to your application). If you have a bachelors degree or higher please provide an official transcript or have an e-script sent to HR@canyonisd.net.
- Voided check or savings deposit slip – used for direct deposit of payroll check
- Employment verification documents for the I-9 form – click here to see acceptable document types
All classes will begin promptly at the scheduled time at the District Support Center. Please arrive early for check-in procedures and remember to bring the required items listed above to training.
Thursday, June 27, 2019 from 8:30-3:30 PM
The rate of pay is established each year by the CISD Board of Trustees. The current rate of pay is as follows:
- Non-degreed substitutes: $65 per day
- *Degreed substitutes: $70 per day
- Canyon ISD Certified Retired Teachers/Administrators: $80 per day
Substitutes will receive an extra $10 per day on Fridays for working a full day assignment. An extra $5 will be added on Fridays for half day assignments.
*A degreed substitute is defined as one who holds a bachelors, masters or doctorate degree. Degreed substitutes must provide an official transcript to be eligible for the degreed substitute pay rate. If you hold a teaching certificate, but do not have a degree, you are not eligible for the degreed substitute pay rate. The degree substitute pay rate will begin on the date the Human Resources office receives the official transcript and shall not be retroactive.
Follow this link to being the substitute application: CISD Substitute Teacher Application