Knight Elementary Counseling Corner
Counseling News and Updates
Information and Resources
- February's character trait is Kindness! In addition, we will also be celebrating Random Acts of Kindness week February 10-14th. Each class will be participating in kindness activities:) Here are some random acts of kindness that families can participate in too.
- Help a neighbor
- Donate old toys or clothes
- Pay it forward by paying for someone's drink or coffee at a drive thru
- Leave a kindness note for someone to find
- Send someone a kind card
- Do you have a child in your life who is experiencing anxiety? Here is a great article about anxiety that includes tips that families can use.
- Ever wondered what the role of a school counselor looks like over a school year? Take a peek at my annual counseling calendar for this academic year. It is organized according to the American School Counseling Association format by month and type of support.
Counseling Lesson Updates
Our school-wide focus for January is Problem Solving.
We have been talking about and practicing problem solving using the Knight Problem Solving Cycle. It's important to help kids learn how to solve small problems. The Knight Problem Solving Cycle is a way for kids to follow the steps to solve problems effectively. When kids learn to work through problems they reduce their stress and increase their sense of confidence and resilience.
- Kindergarteners and 1st graders have been learning about 'Social Thinking' concepts including recognizing feelings, recognizing the feelings of others, how our thoughts and feelings work together and how people can work together using thoughts and feelings.
- 2nd-4th grade has been learning about and practicing strategies to calm down big feelings before trying to solve a problem. Next we will be using the Knight Problem Solving Cycle to practice solving problems.
- 5th and 6th grades have been learning from the ‘Riding The Waves’ curriculum that teaches coping skills to better handle stressful situations. We are talking about the importance of positive affirmations, positive statements we say to encourage ourselves (eg. I think I can, I've got this, I can handle tough situations, I am kind and brave...). We have also discussed deep breathing, laughing and problem solving.
- Up next, we will be focusing on Kindness school-wide in February. We will be celebrating Random Acts of Kindness week of February 10-14th.
We celebrate kindness at Knight!
Knight Community Care Team
- Knight Community Care Team- As a member of our Knight School community, we would like to extend an opportunity to you to participate in our Knight Community Care Team. This team of families and friends of our school will help to fill specific needs that students and families in our school may have, including food, clothing, shoes, household items, etc. When a need arises we will send a confidential email to the Knight Community Care Team with information about what items are needed. If members of this team are able to help contribute needed items they will reply to the email with the item/s they plan to donate. The group will be updated via email as members commit to filling needs. Donated items can by brought to school and we will get those items delivered to the student or family. Names of the students and families being supported will remain confidential. If you are interested in being a part of the Knight Community Care Team, or if you would like more information, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503-263-7100 x3018.'
Please check the Knight Counseling Corner regularly for updates and information and please feel free to contact me with any questions. email@example.com or 503-263-7100 x3018