Computer Networks 2018
(Redes de Computadores 2018)
Computer Networks is a mandatory first course on fundamentals of computer networks. It belongs to the 5th semester of the course in Informatics Engineering of FCT/UNL. As prerequisites students should have previous acquaintance with programming and operating systems.
This site presents a brief overview of the course and also delivers some course support materials, namely to the laboratory sessions.
Enrolled students from FCT/UNL should take in consideration that all academic information, as well the official rules, namely the official grading rules, are only available in the academic management system of FCT/UNL:
https://clip.unl.pt > .... > Redes de Computadores
- Introduction to computer networks: terminology, organization, services, components and structuring principles
- Reliable data transmission
- Quality of service
- Information diffusion
- Names and addresses
- Routing: principles and algorithms
- Fundamentals of TCP/IP networks
- Fundamentals of communication channels in general and Ethernet switched networks
- Understand the architecture and the internals of computer networks
- Performance indicators and their estimation and measurement
- Understand the transport and network layers impact in networked applications
- Understand how content is diffused
- Transport interfaces and their usage
- Analyze, structure and implement small distributed applications
José Legatheaux Marins, "Fundamentos de Redes de Computadores - Ilustrado com base na Internet e nos Protocolos TCP/IP," FCT da Universidade Nova de Lisboa, 2018.
James F. Kurose and Keith W. Ross, "Computer Networking - A Top-Down Approach," Addison Wesley — Pearson Education, 2012, ISBN-10: 0136079679, 6th Edition