Allied Health Occupations
ALLIED HEALTH PROFESSIONALS
Allied Health is designed to prepare students for the following careers in the health field:
- Patient Care Technician (PCT) - performs basic medical treatments, such as collecting specimens, performing lab work, and may assist patients with activities of daily living such as eating, dressing , and bathing.
- Nursing Assistant and Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) - provide basic care to patients, as well as assist them in activities of daily activities of daily living such as bathing.
- Certified Medication Assistant - works with patients and their medications in a variety of settings.
- Home Health Aide - takes over patient care at home.
- Medical Assistant/Receptionist - works in physicians’ offices with patients and insurance.
All certified designations depend upon the student’s successful completion a certifying examination. Students who wish to continue their education in the health field after high school should take advanced math, biology, and chemistry courses.
New Jersey Board of Nursing: Nursing Standards
National Library of Medicine: Medical Research
Occupational Safety and Health Administration: Workplace Safety
College Raptor: Allied Health Sciences
College Board: General Health Sciences
PCT: Patient Care Technician
CDC: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Mayo Clinic: Medical Research