Welcome to the John F. Kennedy Elementary School Guidance Counseling page!
3rd Grade ANti-Bullying Video
What Do Elementary School Guidance Counselors Do?
The time spent in elementary school sets the tone for students to develop the knowledge, values and attitudes, and skills necessary to become healthy and confident learners. The John F. Kennedy Guidance Counselor, Ms. Kayla Haloupek, works collaboratively with parents and the community as well as other staff members to create a respectful and caring atmosphere. Elementaty school counselors can help children be academically and socially successful by providing education, prevention, early identification, and intervention. Guidance counselors hold a master’s degree and state certification in school counseling. Professional development and education related to current trends and techniques is ongoing to maintain the certification.
What services are provided?
- Schoolwide character education initiatives
- Harrassment, intimidation, and bullying investigations
- Classroom lessons based on topics including:
- Following school rules
- Anti-bullying awareness
- Individual and group counseling
- Student planning including:
- Academic planning
- Goal setting and decision-making
- Education on understanding of self
- Transition plans
- Responsive services including:
- Crisis intervention
- Conflict resolution
- Consultation and collaboration