Mr. Styles' Class
Welcome to 5th Grade!
Answers to your questions! (Sorry, for some reason it didn't save last night, here they are again).
- Do you like the Harry Potter books or the movies better? I love the books much more!
- Do you like dogs? Yes! I don't have one, but I love them anyway! (But... I am a cat person!)
- How many field trips? I don't know for sure, yet. It will be at least three.
- Do you like Harry or Draco? I like Harry best.
- Who is your favorite student? Well... that would be a lot of them! I've had a little over 200 students.
- Do you like seaweed? Not really.
- Were you born in Vermont? If not, where? I was born in the mountains of North Carolina.
- Do you know what Roblox is? Yes! I do!
- What is your favorite fruit? My favorite fruit is pineapple. My favorite fruit flavor is banana but when I eat actual bananas, I gag.
- How tall are you? 5'11"
- Why do you crave evil things so much? Hmmmm... *scratches chin*... well, I don't know!
- Do we have homework? Yes, you will have to read 30 minutes every night, complete Spelling homework, and read for book groups each week. (The book group reading counts toward your nightly 30 minutes of reading).
- What is your favorite NFL team? I usually like the Patriots.
- How big are your feet? I wear size 10 shoes.
- What's your favorite food? Chicken tikka masala!
I want to welcome your child to our class this year! It will be an exciting year full of new ideas, new experiences, and full of milestones. Your child will be learning a lot of new things that seem impossible to do right now.
We will be learning some Math with very large (and very tiny) numbers, creating formulas, and working on increasingly challenging problems. We will be reading with much more insight, analyzing literary stories and informational texts as well. There will be a lot of research and a lot of writing. Students will be attending groups in both my class and Ms. Bonanni’s class. We will be learning some Science and Social Studies in both Ms. Bonanni’s class and our class.
Activities for the summer:
Summer reading is very important. The amount of reading necessary for success in 5thGrade is quite daunting. To get us started, students need to read three booksover the summer. One of the books should be a Dorothy’s List book of your choice.The other two can come from that list or be self-selected. Multiple copies of each Dorothy’s List books are available at the Fletcher Free Library.Pheonix Booksalso has a dedicated section as does Barnes & Noble.If the Dorothy’s List books are too challenging, pick a book that is just right for you!
You also need to write something to me about the books you choose. If you want to type and send it to me online, your child can go ahead and join our class at https://classroom.google.com, logging in with your BSDVT.org account, and entering the class code that I included on the letter that went home. (Need it again? Email me!) Follow the instructions for the first assignment! I am including a paper log on the back of this sheet.
Supplies for next year:
Please send in…
- Pencils (Dixon brand sharpen reliably, others can jam pencil sharpeners or not even have lead!)
- 2 packs of wide-rule notebook paper
- A plastic or poly folder for graded work to come home
- If your child wants specially designed composition notebooks, we will be using 4 books this year. (Please do not send spiral-bound notebooks, binders, or multi-subject notebooks)
- More pencils
- Zipper storage bags (like Ziploc). Quart or Gallon size.
Students will be using Google Classroom and Google Apps for Education throughout the year. They are able to access Google Classroom and the Google Apps suite by computer, Chromebook, tablets, or smartphones.
I look forward to our year together!